Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suggestions for MIT?

HUCicatrixHUCicatrix Posts: 11Registered Users Harvard Champion
edited May 2013 in What Are My Chances?
Hi, I'm currently a grade XII international (Indian, 17yo) student and will be applying to MIT in Nov/Dec this year.

My rough specs are:

>SAT (in 2012) : 2220/2400 (Reading: 750, Math: 800, Writing: 670)

>TOEFL (March '13): 118/120

>Participated with distinction in more than 120 international/ national/ state-level competitions (no International Olympiad medals though) including:

International Rank 9 in NCO, National 4th in NSTSE (twice!), about 10 other ranks within top 25 in national levels and about 30 within top 10 in state-level competitions.

>NTSE and KVPY scholar (with ~95% score in interview in latter).

>School captain in VI and current deputy head boy of school.

>Occasionally participate in speeches and debates with over 10 ranks amongst top 3 best speakers.

>Couple of drawing, abacus, quizzes, science camps, spell-bee, swimming certificates (including a national level 1 in art).

>CGPA 10.0 (out of a highest 10.0) in grade XI with A+ in all subjects, except English( with an A), CGPA 10.0 in grade X with a perfect report card (A+ in all subjects and in all scholastic and co-curricular activities), 91.6% in XI (93% in CS-Science-Math combined with A+ in work experience)

>Occasional work in NGOs, rallies and nature walks most prominently 'Save Tigers' by Sanctuary.

So, what are my chances of getting into MIT? What other US universities might you recommend and most importantly, what else might you suggest that I could do to strengthen my resume in the odd 6 months left?
(I'll be giving my SAT-II in Math-2, Phy and Chem in July.)
Also, I have two edx honor certificates. Would that be a significant addition to the list?

Thank you ^_^
Post edited by HUCicatrix on

Replies to: Suggestions for MIT?

• Askar96Askar96 Posts: 34Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    You are on 12th grade?
  • HUCicatrixHUCicatrix Posts: 11Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Currently, yes.
    Or Class 12, as we call it here. I assumed Grade XII would be the equivalent of it.
  • indianboy1234indianboy1234 Posts: 42Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Hoooooly crap that is a awesome resume yeah ur in
    edited May 2013
    I wish I had your optimism. Thank you. I just hope that the selection board think its decent enough.
    edited May 2013
    :( Suggestions? Anyone?
    edited May 2013
    OMG, it's perfect resume; I'm too international student applying to MIT this year; But I'm just on X class. I'm only 16(
    edited May 2013
    It's good that you have a lot of EC's, but anyway you will have 1-2 essays to write about; On of these essays is "What do you do for pleasure" and I'm doubt that you will write about 5-10 ECs. I suggest you to be involved in 1-2 ECs which define you.
    edited May 2013
    Perfect? :( But don't they sure-shot candidates with Int. Olympiad medals? Thanks, anyway.
    You're applying this year? For MIT? After tenth? :o wow
    Maybe the grade systems are different, I just turned 17.

'What you do for pleasure.' Hmm, I don't suppose video games and anime count :D
    That will be tough, I suppose. Know anyplace to practice and assess such essays?
    Also, do only LORs from school teachers count?
  • luisaroseluisarose Posts: 38Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    LORs: they want one from a humanities teacher and one from a science and math teacher. You can get an additional letter but those two are required.

Your stats are strong and I'd say you have a shot, but you will be competing against International Olympiad medalists, and the international acceptance rate is around 3-5%. It is very possible that another student similar to yourself but with a medal or 3 will be in the pool next year. Don't get your heart set on MIT; as an international, it's incredibly difficult.

Other schools you may want to look into include Caltech, Georgia Tech, Carnegie Mellon University, and Illinois Institute of Technology. MIT has a set number of international students they can accept, but other schools may operate under different situations. You definitely could get into some great schools in the US!
    edited May 2013
    HUCicatrix# Yes, we have XI grades in my country, it means I'm junior now.
    I have some math medals but only on national level, I don't have any internationals yet :)
    Anyway medals not always lead to MIT. I know one guy from my country who had 2 silver medals on IPhO but he was rejected.

My advice: write awesome essays and with these stats you will get in.
    edited May 2013
    Could you tell me please what is NCO and NSTSE? What is KVPY?

Oh, yes.. You are Indian, there a lot of applicants from India every year, MIT took about 5-10. I mean it will be very hard.
    edited May 2013
    #luisarose
    Thank you :D. I face a problem though. My current school doesn't have a counselor or a humanities teacher. Are there any equivalents? Also, would it be wise to get a LOR from a teacher from my previous school or from my coaching centre?
    Yes, the Olympiad factor is a rather large setback. I wasn't aware of its ( along with the AP tests') existence until recently. Perhaps I can apply for the regionals this year and if I get selected, I can mention that I'm preparing for the second level.
    There isn't a set quota for international students, right?
    edited May 2013
    #Askar96
    Yeah, I always play a dramatic tune in my mind whenever I think about the admission essays. I'll try my best though.

Oh, right. I apologize for my ignorance. NCO stands for 'National Cyber Olympiad' which recently became an international exam. NSTSE has a long full-form but it's basically a national science and exam competition.

NTSE is a scholarship exam for Class X students by the government of India that provides upto PhD (with certain conditions, of course.) I aced it in Class VIII.

KVPY is the big one. It consists of a fairly difficult written round followed by a very rigorous (and for me, very fun :D ) interview with top Physics ,Chemistry ,Math , Biology and other misc. subject professors from around the country. It's another fellowship that provides till PhD and allows for grants for research. KVPY scholars initially get about 100$ per month that gradually increases (again with certain conditions). You'd also get instant admission to most of the top science universities such as The Indian Institute Of Science with a 100% scholarship.
    The main draw however is that you become life-long members in almost all government-recognized laboratories and libraries all over the country (i.e. a bit like heaven :D ). Every year about 200-250 students are accepted into the fellowship.
  • KhalilzhadKhalilzhad Posts: 1Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    looking good. As for suggestions, I'd check out Harvey Mudd as well. It's probably on par with Cal Tech in terms of education quality.
    edited May 2013
    Thank you ^_^ Mudd and Cal Tech look great. The former seems to have the same vibe as MIT. I forgot to mention but I was wondering about colleges with good courses in CS/Physics(Particle, Quantum and/or Cosmological)/Astronomy. All three would be hoping too much though :P That said, one of the first things that drew me to MIT was that it had its own observatory. I'm not sure if that's common in the US or in other countries but it's not common here in India.