Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suggestions for MIT?

Replies to: Suggestions for MIT?

• luisaroseluisarose Registered Users Posts: 38 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    A humanities teacher is any teacher of history, language, art, music, etc.
  • HUCicatrixHUCicatrix Registered Users Posts: 11 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Oh. I had another thing in mind. Thank you ^_^ Is it applicable if said teacher isn't teaching / has never taught me?

EDIT: In hindsight, the 'has never taught' was a pretty stupid question. Does CS come under that? Can I get one from an English teacher from my previous school where I studied 2 years ago?
    edited May 2013
    Also, #luisarose, thank you for that list of recommended colleges. I'll be sure to look into them.
  • Guitar500Guitar500 Registered Users Posts: 6 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Looking good in terms of grades, and you could aim for a higher writing score on your SAT. In my opinion, that's the easiest section to improve in because of the essay. If you got less than 10 in it, check this out: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/645763-how-write-12-essay-just-10-days.html
    I don't know whether it's necessary, though. MIT's much more concerned about Math.

As for your application essays, if you're having a hard time finding out what you do for pleasure, does that mean you don't enjoy any of your ECs? It's important that you actually love the ECs you do, admissions like passionate students, not only ones who just want to get in.

Anyway, I think you're a competitive applicant. Make sure you get those essays right and you'll be in the running. Also, if I were you I'd get recommendations from junior (11th) or senior (12th) year.
    edited May 2013
    #Guitar500 thank you. Yes, the essay did not go well. Apparently, citing Lord of The Rings isn't the best strategy. I doubt I'll have another chance to give the SAT though. The next ones are in October, I think, and the venues, few that they are, are not even in my state. Do you think the somewhat-decent TOEFL scores might compensate for that?

I haven't actually started around getting to write out the essays. I haven't even gotten the prompts, though I think I'll receive them around September. I'll see around to the deadlines. It'll be hard to choose the exact ones for the pleasure thing though. My guess is I'll have to avoid the cliches like reading or experimenting, and focus on something that's really endearing to me.

Thank you, once again. That gives me a little hope. Recommendations from current and/or previous years, got it. Thank you ^_^