right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chances for Harvard, Yale, UPenn, UMich, UW-Madison, Stanford, Cornell

nickpsnickps 13 replies4 discussions Forum Champion
GPA: 3.95 UW
ACT: 31 Composite (Retaking with studying goal:33)
-English: 27
-Math: 32
-Reading: 33
-Science: 30
-Essay: 8 (hopefully better; didn't finish)

SAT I: N/A

SAT II:
-Math II: 700
-US History: 740

AP's:
-U.S. Government (expect a 5)
-Chemistry (Border line 3/4)

Senior Year Academic Course Load:
-AP Micro/Macro Economics
-AP German
-AP Calc AB
-Phy Ed/Business Law and Ethics
-English 12
-Physics

Notable Extracurriculars:
- Church council representative
- Church youth group leader
- DECA - 4 years (1 year officer and 1 year president)
- DECA national competitor
- Bowling 4 years 3 varsity
- Baseball 1 year
- Relay For Life
Profile:
State: WI
Ethnicity: Caucasion
edited May 2013 in What Are My Chances?
17 replies
Post edited by nickps on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances for Harvard, Yale, UPenn, UMich, UW-Madison, Stanford, Cornell

• billcshobillcsho 241 replies2 discussions Junior Member
    Match for Madison. Match to high match for Umich. High match to low reach for Cornell. Reach for the rest.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • nickpsnickps 13 replies4 discussions Forum Champion
    Would improving to a 33 on the ACT help very much? I feel like I could easily reach 33 and possibly even higher as I didn't study for my first try. Would it be worth it to retake SAT II subject tests? Is there any way I can improve my EC's this late in the process?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • experientiadocetexperientiadocet 7 replies0 discussions
    How many APs does your school offer? Five is fine if your school only offers roughly that many, but otherwise it's unimpressive.

Improving to a 33 ACT would definitely help. Your current 31 places you around the 25th, maybe 30th percentile for your big reach schools. A 700 on MII isn't very strong either, given the test's curve; that puts you at roughly the 60th percentile for MII test-takers. Kids getting into HYPS with such scores usually have exceptional ECs and/or strong hooks, of which you lack both.

To have a realistic chance at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Penn (I'm guessing Wharton just based on the DECA and Business Law class, but maybe not):
    1. Retake the ACT and score at least a 33
    2. Retake MII and score at least a 750
    3. Flesh out your ECs. Job experience, business venture, dedicated community service would all help and can all still be done.
    4. Hit a homerun on your essays
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you ver much for your reply. I plan on retaking the Math II as well as adding a Chem subject test. Does work experience need to be educationally relevant, like some of the people I see on here with research internships? Or would my part time job at a grocery store and summer job doing special event promotions for a local soda distributer actually help. Also, I have done a lot of community service through DECA and church organizations, should I list this seperatly? How should I go about that, because it isn't usually more than 10 hours with one specific organization. Should I just combine it all and list as "Community Service". If so then I have about 200 hoirs then. Honestly I have always just kind of assumed I would end up at UW-Madison, but I have recently been starting to consider other options. I don't really expect to get into any IVY league schools, but it is worth a shot.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • mensa160mensa160 11 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    What is your class rank?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • luminalcoin8luminalcoin8 9 replies1 discussions
    You're in at Madison. UMich is a high match. The rest are reaches
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Class rank is 21 out of 556
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • experientiadocetexperientiadocet 7 replies0 discussions
    Idk if you've gone on the CommonApp site and seen this already, but for every activity, you list hours/week and weeks/year. There's also room to fit in a sentence. For your DECA community service thing, since you've volunteered at various organizations, I'd account for the hours within your DECA EC slot and note "x hours of community service" in the descriptive sentence. Or you could go with lumping all the community service together as you said; I'd just write it out on your app and see which way sounds better.

Having any sort of part-time/summer job would definitely help. Naturally, it'd be nice to see something in your area of interest, but something like working at a grocery store is actually a solid EC.

Even though Ivy may be a stretch (though if you get those stats up as you hope to, it's certainly possible), I think you definitely have the capacity to go to a great school. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a school, but if you like the size of places like UW-Madison and UMich, you may also consider Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA, UCB, UCLA, and UNC. (Fair warning regarding the UCs - they give awful aid to OOS students.) A notch below these institutions, but still very respected state schools, are UIUC, Texas, and the University of Washington.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Work experience is good if you have a reason for it. May it be your passion, class related, or something else.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    In terms of the schools just below Ivys are there many that offer substantial financial aid for merit to a student similar to myself. I expect very little need aid with a combined family income ~150,000. I find it hard to justify to myself paying 40,000 a year for any school other than Ivys when I have UW-Madison available for about 20,000 a year
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • RachelsophieRachelsophie 2 replies0 discussions
    What's your intended major? I think Madison is a match and maybe Michigan if you're not going into engineering. I agree that all the rest are reaches.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Intended probably business and maybe specifically marketing.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Business in UMich is as competitive (may be even more) than the engineering school. With ACT 31, you may get some merit aid at the schools that has 31 at or above the 75%. For UMich, the 75% is 33 for the whole school and even higher for engineering and Ross. 31 is also the average ACT score for U Winsconsin admission.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • luminalcoin8luminalcoin8 9 replies1 discussions
    31 is definitely NOT the average ACT score for Wisconsin... especially for in-state applicants. The middle 50% is 26-30, and probably lower for instate. Every year, about half the graduating class at my school (run-of the-mill public) applies to Madison, and about 5/6 get in. This year, several people in the low 20s and even a girl with a 19 got in. I have only heard of one kid out of literally hundreds I've talked to who didn't get in and had 30+, and that kid had a 2.55 GPA and served two in-school suspensions. It's not nearly as difficult to get in as some claim. OP is in for sure, no question.

University of Wisconsin Profile - ACT Scores and Admissions Data for the University of Wisconsin- Madison
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    ^ You are right. My data is based on Collegedata which is actually the average reported at their website. Just like in CC, members reported at collegedata are usually above average. I found an average of 28 for Wisconsin on another website.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share