right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Graduation traffic

teacher56teacher56 0 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
I have to be in Charlottesville during graduation on Sunday, not for the ceremony, but to gather some items from an apartment behind the Corner. I can imagine this would be the worst possible day to due this but have no choice. Just wondering if the traffic is lighter at 11 when the ceremony begins and if I would even be able to get to the Corner? Any suggestions? Timing can be a bit flexible although morning arrival is preferable. Should I expect backups on I 64? Thanks.
edited May 2013 in University of Virginia
6 replies
Post edited by teacher56 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Graduation traffic

• hazelorbhazelorb 8 replies1 discussions Junior Member
    You could take 250 to Rugby Avenue, shouldn't be problematic. 29 is the busy road so just avoid that. Take 250 from pantops so you don't go near the 29 exit.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • charlieschmcharlieschm 34 replies2 discussions Junior Member
    I'm guessing that if you get in and out of the University area while the actual main ceremony is happening, that would be best.

I still remember how easy it was for me to drive into and out of Downtown Cleveland while a football game was underway. No one was on the road. If they weren't at the game, they were in a bar watching it.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • Dean JDean J College Rep 4 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    The worst traffic is always on route 29. Parking around the Corner will be the bigger issue.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • fiftyplusfiftyplus 1 replies1 discussions
    It seems that walking from JPJ might be ok on Saturday if the shuttles are backed up and time is getting tight, for people coming down 29. It's not that far. Would it even make sense to go around 250 and come in through the west toward Scott Stadium, or would congestion there also be bad? One problem with 250 is by that time you have already come a long way down 29's built-up area.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • charlieschmcharlieschm 34 replies2 discussions Junior Member
    One option is to come in from the west on Business Route 250 and try to park in the Ivy/Emmett parking deck, if it is not full, and then walk from there. However, that deck will probably fill up early, and will not have a shuttle. The graduation website tells people to park at the Stadium and U. Hall and take the shuttle to graduation.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • hazelorbhazelorb 8 replies1 discussions Junior Member
    You can get on 250 from the north without continuing on 29 near congested areas. You can take Rio Rd (anywhere from the airport - airport rd to earlysville rd at the traffic circle to rio/hydraulic - or down to where Rio hits 29) to georgetown road and then to barracks rd to 250, or you can take route 20 from the airport (across the street - airport/proffitt to route 20) over to pantops. There's even a road that goes from barracks rd to ivy road, cuts through a private school/golf club.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share