right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

First Year - Course enrollment

2»

Replies to: First Year - Course enrollment

• AVA55AVA55 4 replies0 discussions New Member
    I would suggest calling SEAS before orientation to speak with an advisor. He or she may have good suggestions for your son to consider.

His situation is not at all unique in the College of Arts and Sciences. I heard the dean there, Dean Woo, speak last Fall on how the CAS faculty are studying ways how to make the first year experience work better in light of the large number of students coming in with credit for many of the classes traditionally considered to be "first year courses." Schools and students are losing whatever benefits there were of a "common" first year academic experience.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • blueiguanablueiguana 74 replies1 discussions
    You may also consider a USEM. My son was coming in with some credit and was going to have 14 credits first semester so he added a USEM. His was taught by a professor from McIntire, had about 12 students, and it ended up being on of his most interesting classes that semester. It completely stretched his math/science brain in directions it didn't normally go. The fact that he could come in as a first year, have a class with only a dozen students, taught by a prominent professor in a university with 15k students was just a really fun experience that first semester. I'd recommend it for any first year student.
    University Seminars (USEMS) are designed to give first-year students the opportunity to develop critical-thinking skills and explore new ideas in an environment that encourages interactive learning and intensive discussion. The seminars are based on ideas that have changed the way we think about our relation to the world around us. The seminars are given by prominent faculty in departments and schools across the University, carry two or three hours of credit, and are restricted to 18 first-year students during the initial course enrollment. If space is remaining, second-, third-, and fourth-year students may enroll.

Executive Vice President & Provost, University of Virginia

University Seminars Fall 2013 - Executive Vice President & Provost, University of Virginia
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • grp2013grp2013 26 replies3 discussions
    @AVA - thanks, good suggestion. I believe he will also have a Rodman "mentor" for registration, so we'll try to make some connections prior to orientation. I just don't want to bug any advisors or professors (or students) right now at the end of the term. I'll wait till they can breath again!

@blue - great suggestion, Thanks! I will have him look into that. That truly sounds like a great experience if you can work it.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    grp, As your son is a Rodman, this may not be as important to him. He's going to get a lot of chances for smaller group interaction. I just thought I'd throw it out there as an option, and also mention it for others reading. It was probably shoe or hazel who told me about them the summer before my son enrolled. You know about having your son turn in his chem lab notebook for evaluation, right? If it's cleared then he's exempt from the lab. He doesn't earn credit, but doesn't have to take it. It's not that it's hard, it's that it's three hours for one credit and can really impact your scheduling opportunities for other courses.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    @blue, yes, I had read that somewhere about the notebook, and S is finishing his now and keeping it well organized. But I hadn't seen anywhere officially how, when or where it is reviewed. Is this done at summer orientation (and he should bring it with him to SO), or is it something we call and get scheduled somehow? I would think it needs to be done prior to registration during orientation.

Speaking of which, we're not sure his AP results will be back for Chem prior to SO, but he is expecting to get a 5. So how is that generally handled if the scores aren't in yet at registration?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Your son should bring his lab notebook with him in August to be reviewed and approved. The paperwork at orientation will tell him specifically who to take it to. In the past it's been Professor Robert Burnett in the Chem Dept, Rm 404. I think my son got his back in less then two weeks. If the notebook has been done well assume exemption and don't sign up for the lab at orientation. On the off chance it doesn't get approval he can add it second semester.

AP scores are being released online this year (welcome to the new millennium CB!) starting 7/5. There is a three day roll out with each of three regions having 24 hour access to scores, and total access again 7/8. He should at the very least have an unofficial copy of scores before he goes.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    D'oh, hadn't even thought about skipping it in Fall and just doing it in Spring if it ended up being necessary. See, that's why we ask!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share