Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UNM Los Alamos Housing

MadeItMadeIt Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
edited May 2013 in University of New Mexico
A friend of mine is visiting Los Alamos this summer and is considering UNM housing. He heard that it is not that great, but would like more details.
Post edited by MadeIt on

Replies to: UNM Los Alamos Housing

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    UNM-Los Alamos offer a very limited number of housing units. (64 in total) UNM-LA students get first shot at any available. Non-UNM students pay a non-student premium and are only housed on a space-available basis.

Housing :: UNM Los Alamos | The University of New Mexico

I haven't seen the UNM-LA housing units, but I can tell you that any housing in Los Alamos itself is in very high demand since there just isn't much there for rent. (Combination of a bunch of factors, including 2 major fires in the last 7 years that destroyed parts of the town, plus being surrounded by Forest Service land, National Monument land and Indian Reservation land so the town can't expand. Also landlords--including UNM-- preferentially rent to LANL employees.)

Unless your friend is willing to rent in White Rock (where a lot is "Los Alamos" residents live), Santa Fe (super expensive and 50 minutes away) or Espanola (which, I promise you, he really, really doesn't want to do) and commute, he's likely not to have much in the way of choices.