Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Uchicago optional essay

galgal27galgal27 Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
edited May 2013 in University of Chicago
Hi CC world!! I'm just finishing up my junior year, and I will be applying to U of C either EA or RD this year. Although I know that this is extremely early to be posting about essays, I came up with an idea for the optional uchicago essay about favorite books, films, etc, and I would love the input of a uchicago student, acceptee, or otherwise kind and knowledgable soul! Knowing of the university's reputation for loving unexpected and truthful essays, I was thinking about writing about my obsession with reality television. Possibly, I was thinking about making it sound like I was in an AA meeting or something and talk about how I've tried to mask my love for such trashy entertainment with Tolstoy and Emerson, and although I still do enjoy these works, I will always have a soft spot for reality television. I know that admissions officers always say to be yourself, but I'm afraid that this may come across as me not appreciating the academic caliber of the university (and trust me, I DO). Anyways, I know that this is all super early, but any response will be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!
Post edited by galgal27 on

Replies to: Uchicago optional essay

• JasonCalvJasonCalv Registered Users Posts: 1 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't recommend to write your plan in such detail up here at CC. Remember that a huge % of applicants reads here. jussayin...