Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I need some opinions! Should I drop a class (PHYS2A) with a W?

So I am taking PHYS2A with Prof. Lin. He is new so I don't have any info. from his previous courses to rely on.
I don't know how much you have to do to get an okay grade. Right now I am quite depressed of my performance but I am not sure yet to drop the class. I am taking 4 classes and the problem is not about time but I've been getting around average for all my quizzes. Average of our quiz scores is about 4-5 but I got 2 for the last quiz so I am quite scared of not being able to pass the course. Right now I have 25/50 for all my quizzes. I can only drop 1 quiz. My grade is solely based on 60% quiz and 40% final. This is my first time taking physics so I don't know if I am in an okay shape or not. At this point, getting a C is okay for me. What's your opinion regarding this? If I continue getting around average, will I still be able to get at least a C in the course?
Post edited by chainiwatmj on

Replies to: I need some opinions! Should I drop a class (PHYS2A) with a W?

• chainiwatmjchainiwatmj Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    and how easier is phys1a?
    I am a biochemistry/ cell biology major. I don't know why we really need physics but I have to options to take physics:
    1. physics1A with lab, 1B with lab, 1C with lab
    2. physics2A, 2B, 2C with one lab and MATH20D (because apparently you need to take MATH20D concurrently with PHYS2C)

I chose to take 2A in the beginning because I was thinking that I won't have to take as many labs as the 1 series and that I'd be more open to switch my major later. However, if I continue to suffer and if PHYS 1 is easier then I might drop this class and start taking PHYS1A in fall.
  • chemnerd727chemnerd727 Posts: 3 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Dont drop it.. I am also the same major that you are and am currently in Phys 2C with wuerthwein. I did bad on my Phys 2A quizzes at first as well (I took it FA12) but managed an A- due to my good performance on the final. I say stick with it and im sure you will do fine, most physics teachers recycle old quizzes, i kno if you look up Sinha Sunil's old quizzes you can study off of those. And fyi I did not have to take Math20D with Phys2C so I am sure you will be fine.. Best of Luck!