right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

class credit for an unpaid internship

ProudBamaMamaProudBamaMama 1 replies2 discussionsRegistered User
Does anyone know how a student goes about receiving class credit for an unpaid internship? I remember reading a post here recently about how it is the law that if a student is not being paid, they must receive class credit. Thanks for any information regarding this! :)
edited May 2013 in University of Alabama
2 replies
Post edited by ProudBamaMama on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: class credit for an unpaid internship

• AmicaMomAmicaMom 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User
    That is a federal regulation for employers. it is against the law for an employer to not pay interns, unless the internship meets the criteria the Department of Labor sets out - one of which is that the person be receiving college credit. (There's a lot more.) It doesn't work the other way - "I'm not getting paid, therefore somebody has to give me college credit."

Here's the link to the DOL fact sheet: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • ProudBamaMamaProudBamaMama 1 replies2 discussionsRegistered User
    Thanks, AmicaMom! The two internships offered to my son are with our governor's office, and both positions seem to fit the criteria stated in the DOL fact sheet. So... if I understand things correctly, my son does not need to receive class credit. Whew! I wasn't looking forward to paying out of state tuition! :)
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share