right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Some SAT writing questions

ursawarriorursawarrior 2 replies3 discussions Forum Champion
I am having trouble with these 2 questions. I really appreciate your help.

1) [ My grandson thinks he can cook better than any other person at the fair; and he ] has the blue ribbons to prove it.
There are 2 possible choices:

B) My grandson thinks he can cook better than any other person at the fair, and he
E) Thinking he can cook better than any other person at the fair, my grandson

I choose E, thinking that it's more concise. But the correct answer is B. Can you explain why to me?
This question is in SAT preparation booklet 2004-2005. Section 5, question No.6

2) None [ of the fish ] in the aquarium [ is ] native to this part of the world, [ having instead ] been imported [from overseas ]. [No error]

The correct answer is No error (E). I wonder what the subject of "[ having instead ] been imported [from overseas ]" is. It should be "None of the fish" right? Then the sentence means "All of the fish are neither native to this part of the world nor imported from overseas". I suppose it should mean something like 'Because all of the fish are imported from overseas, they are not native..."

This question is in Cracking the SAT 2007 Edition, The Princeton Review. Page 295

Thank you.
edited May 2013 in SAT Preparation
2 replies
Post edited by ursawarrior on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Some SAT writing questions

• JasperTraumJasperTraum 2 replies0 discussions Forum Champion
    The 2nd question has no error, since the ' instead ' only means they are not native. And the structure of 'having done' in SAT test can be regarded as the reason.

And I am sorry that I also think E is the correct answer in question 1.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • Crystal31Crystal31 8 replies0 discussions
    Ans 1 ] Reason E in the first question does not make sense to me. Thinking - the ing structure is not needed here. So B is correct option.

Ans 2] Already answered by someone.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share