Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do I need?

potterismylifepotterismylife Posts: 3Registered Users Harvard Champion
I'm a freshman, and I took the SAT on May 4th for the second time. I took it last year in 8th grade for a talent search and got a 2000, and I find out what I got this time on the 23rd.

Here are my grades so far for this year and what I predict I'll be getting for quarter 4 and my final exam:

(Q1 Q2 Midterm Q3 Q4 Final)
English 9 Honors- B B B B B B
History Honors- A A A B A A
Algebra II GT- B B B B B A
Biology G/T- B D B C B B
Spanish 2 Honors- B B B C B A
Piano 1- B B A B A A
Lifetime Fit S1- A B A n/a n/a n/a
Health S2- n/a n/a n/a A A A

(Lifetime Fitness and Health are half credits)

I know, they really suck. xD I just went through a lot of stuff this year and whatever, and I fully plan on getting all A's for the rest of high school.

My question is, how good of an SAT score do I need to make up for how badly I've done in freshman year to get into a good college? Not necessarily Ivies, but good.

Also, please don't say that I don't need to worry about this as a freshman. I promise even if you say that I'll worry anyway.

Replies to: What do I need?

• STEMftwSTEMftw Posts: 5Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    you worrying about this as a frosh is what will keep you back
    colleges tend to not like it when you take the SAT before junior year (shows ur a try hard)

but

if you show a general trend in your SAT scores, you should be fine (get better than ur 8th grade one). if you get like a 2200+, there is no need to rly take it later so thats good too.

if you wanna make up for ur freshman grades, the SAT wont do ****. having a life outside of academics, however, will. so get started on that. colleges will understand if you went thru a bunch of stuff
  • potterismylifepotterismylife Posts: 3Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    I don't want to look like a try-hard, I'm just hoping that taking it more often will increase my changes of getting a better SAT score. Haha

I do a lot of volunteer stuff, so I'm not worried about extracurriculars. I'm more focused on the academic side of things at this point.