Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HELP for ACT English and Reading section!!!

hahahademonhahahademon Registered Users Posts: 4 Harvard Champion
First of all, I'm not a good English speaker. Reading and English section have affected my score a lot,especially reading! After I traning my English skill,my english score has improve 5 point. but reading even going down!! i got a 12!! that is terrible. because I'm only speak english for 2-3 years, my reading speed is so slow and have vocabulary problem. SO what should DO to improve My Reading?? I tkae act again on June 8
Post edited by hahahademon on

Replies to: HELP for ACT English and Reading section!!!

• NikkkkkiNikkkkki Registered Users Posts: 19 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Study the four comma rules on the ACT it raised my english points 7 points just by studying those rules.
  • hahahademonhahahademon Registered Users Posts: 4 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    how about reading
  • OnMyWay2013OnMyWay2013 Registered Users Posts: 34 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Google search SAT/ACT test for non-native speakers, or SAT/ACT test English not first language, or something like that. There's some good information out there. Here's are some sources I found:

PWN the SAT: Some SAT advice for non-native English speakers (You can use this advice with the ACT too, I think)

SAT, ACT Test Prep Tips for International Students - US News and World Report

Some colleges will let you take an English proficiency test called the TOEFL (possibly along with some SAT Subject Tests) or the IELTS instead of the ACT or SAT. Some colleges want you to take both the language test and the SAT/ACT, so look into this.
  • sg12909sg12909 Registered Users Posts: 21 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    What is the hardest part about reading for you? The timing limits, understanding the material, or understanding the questions?
    edited May 2013
    the timing limits
  • div301div301 Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    ^^ time constraints are the biggest concern for most ACT test takers. I'm a native English speaker, and it still takes me every second of the reading portion to finish. (I got 33 on reading) Continue to embrace yourself in the English language and it's culture. I assume you'll be taking the ACT again in June. This gives you the opportunity to take it in September. Use the summer to fully embrace the language and the culture.

Read!!! <--- many natives take this for granted, but you will grow immensely for it.

As for English, grammar rules are easier to master because they don't require the mastery of the language. Start reviewing the rules and soon you'll be able to notice and identify them in your readings
  • sg12909sg12909 Registered Users Posts: 21 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Then try skimming the passage instead of *reading* it. Mark up sentences of interest as you go.
    edited May 2013
    Because of the timing limited,I always try to read as fast as I can. But once I start read fast; I will getting not idea what the passage talking about while a answering questions. So should a read the question first and then go to the passage to search the answer??