Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do you think of this letter to my teacher?

neuronerd36neuronerd36 Registered Users Posts: 3 Harvard Champion
edited May 2013 in Parents Forum
Title says it all. I am incredibly close to my chemistry teacher, who I work with in Science Research Club. He has helped me with A LOT. I don't know if sending this letter will be a bad thing, or if it's cheesy or sappy, but I really wanted to express my thanks. Here is the letter:

I hope you are well. I just want to express my gratitude for your influence over the past two year.

You may remember my thoughts, which then evolved into a desire to explore my opportunities a bit more. The past few months were quite tough, in that I didn’t have a firm decision in what exactly I wanted to do with my passion for science. I remember feeling lost, confused, questionable, and even scared at times. While there were many outside factors, I have come to decide that I want to become a secondary science teacher.

You may ask: Which branch of science? I have still have yet to decide that. It’s quite funny, honestly, that what I really want out of my life is something that has been in front of me all this time, and I didn’t realize it till later. Yes, I did dream of being a doctor, then an engineer, and back and forth countless times. But as I head into those fields and learn more, I learn more about myself.

While desiring to be a doctor, I seemed to put tons of pressure on myself. I have to be perfect in this, I have to be perfect in that. The competition is cutthroat, and it’s not good for a budget. As I learned more,, it seemed to me that I had other passions I wanted to continue in life, but then I wouldn’t really be able to keep up with them, since medicine would have become my life. I do at times feel regret in giving up a dream I had since I was a little child, but to have the weight lifted off of me gives me a huge confidence boost. It is so worth it.

As for engineering, it was such an interesting field to me. To have my eyes opened through my science fair project was a factor. But to put it more simply, it doesn’t really seem to fit me. I loved the science field. I did feel outside pressure since it was such a good option (me being female, family full of engineers, growing field), but it wasn’t what I really wanted.

What I really want to achieve in life is to apply my knowledge in the service to others. Science serves humankind. I wanted to help out a broad spectrum of people, and inspire them, just like you have for me. To see you so happy in your dedication in something you love is such an amazing thing. I love science, and I hope to inspire that in students.

I know some people may think I’m crazy for turning these two options down, but I would be crazy to pursue something that I didn’t really feel passionate about.

I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for me. What else can I say about these past two years?

I look forward to working with you in my senior year. And, please expect questions in trying to reach my goal. Thank you again.