Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Being a great student/athlete or well rounded student.

2»

Replies to: Being a great student/athlete or well rounded student.

• kiddiekiddie Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    I felt similarly at my daughter's high school awards night. One or two kids seemed to walk away with all the money - and they were far from the top students. The two things that got them the money were lots of sports honors (they had played varsity for three sports all four years) and their financial need (my daughter did not qualify for any of the awards that required financial need). These were the moneyed awards from local community groups (PTO, Elks, etc.) However, the non-moneyed awards presented by the school departments went to the top scholars. These awards were also a little unbalanced. There were the same number of awards for core subjects (math, science, etc.) as there were for ceramics (an art elective). Another example, for languages, every senior taking German (there were only 5) got an award and for the hundreds who take Spanish only 3 were awarded.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered Users Posts: 252
    edited May 2013
    I have never been on any committee that passed over anyone for the reason that the person is likely or possibly going to get another award or money. It seems to me the same kids get the lion share's of awards, accolades and recognition each year.

If you are looking at local community service groups who are giving out money, they usually spell out what the criteria for the awards are. You cannot expect to get an award from a group that has participation in their cause or other comm service work, when your kid doesn't have those hours. And, yes, when need is a factor for the award, and you don't have that, your kid is not likely to get much from such programs either.

Many years ago, too many for me to even put down a number, an organization gave out scholarships for graduating seniors at hour high school. In order to even be eligible, you were expected to sell candy bars. Gigantic chocolate bars, for some inflated prices. The winner of the largest scholarship given by the group was a kid who was not even planning to go to college. He went wild selling a record number of those danged bars, and the formula for the awards weighed that heavily. Val and sal of our school got zippo as they did not bother to sell the bars. I got a nice award, but not the top, even though I was a top student with top test scores and a great college app profile. I did okay in selling the bars but not terrific, and, yes, that was reflected in the awards as such. That I got anything at all was because so many kids did not bother to try to sell many of those things.

So it is with certain service awards. If a group is giving awards to kids whose lives were struck with a parent with breast cancer, yes, the better awards will tend to give to those kids with a parent with that cancer and who have participated in fund raising for those groups.
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Registered Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    We actually had our own little "awards ceremony" for my daughter at our family graduation dinner.

The informal awards can be so much more fun than the traditional stuff. For 8th grade graduation, my son's charter school had a luncheon where every student received a custom award along with a small jar of M&Ms. My son won the "award" for "Most Likely to Correct the Teacher." ;)
  • atomomatomom Registered Users Posts: 24
    edited May 2013
    I'm wondering a few things--did OP's son get financial aid at his Ivy school, or is he full-pay?
    Did OP's son seek out and apply for all those local small scholarships--Rotary club, Kiwanis, etc., etc. (I received several of these way back when--not because I was valedictorian but because so few students knew about or applied for these scholarships).
    Apparently the kid got something-- $700.

If the student were really seeking big cash awards, with those stats, he could've picked up a full ride or at least full tuition at a lesser school.

In any case, the student/parent already has a lot to brag about--maybe the scholarship committees knew this and decided to "share the glory" with some other slightly less accomplished and much-less-recognized students. Think how those students/and their parents would feel if "Mr. Everything" won, literally, EVERYTHING.
2»