Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Disappointed Parents/Second Guessing Myself

124»

Replies to: Disappointed Parents/Second Guessing Myself

• Dad IIDad II Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited May 2013
    I think that point that you could try making is that "Brown is the perfect school...for YOU".
    Dad II - ... ... I'm not too sure what you are trying to say, ... ...

I understand. After all, you only got into Brown. :)

I am trying to say that "Brown is your only option at this time", so work on what you can control and forget about what others say.
  • accioknightaccioknight Registered Users Posts: 11 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    OP - You're not alone. I'm an intl student (Asian) and people have been giving me crap for 'only' getting into Hopkins, for turning down Northwestern, for getting rejected from Stanford and UC Berkeley. I'm perfectly happy with my school since I'm a BME, and Hopkins has always been my first love, but no one would understand. Even when I stop arguing with them, they just keep challenging my feelings and shoving how Berkeley, UCLA, NU, Stanford, HYPMC, etc etc are better. On better days, they just stare at me in confusion, ha ha. Learn to ignore them. Asians gotta be Asians, I guess.

(Brown is amazing, btw :) )

A similar thread you might want to browse through:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-life/1503072-your-parents-satisfied-your-college-choices.html
  • KrliliesKrlilies Registered Users Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    I’m curious about OP’s country and school. Quite an achievement to place five students from the same graduating class in Ivies.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered Users Posts: 153
    edited May 2013
    That's a veiled skepticism of the OP, isn't it? Not nice.
  • barrk123barrk123 Registered Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    and a few of my peers have made some not-so-pleasant comments about Brown (especially making use of the pot-smoking hippie stereotype and the "joke of the Ivy League").

How many of them could even gain admission to Brown?
    Anyways everyone knows the joke of the Ivy league is Cornell!
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Registered Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    the joke of the Ivy league

Isn't that like being the least attractive supermodel or dumbest Nobel Prize winner?*

*Not counting those bogus Peace Prizes, which aren't real Nobels.
  • fire123fire123 Registered Users Posts: 1 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    A couple weeks ago, we attended a dinner for scholarship recipients, they announced the colleges the students chose. One young lady turned down Stanford to go to Brown. Just another person who thinks it's a good school ;)
  • KrliliesKrlilies Registered Users Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    Pizzagirl, I’m sorry you take it that way. I am indeed curious which Asian school is churning out a number of Ivy League admits.
  • je_ne_sais_quoije_ne_sais_quoi Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I think it's just sad that these unusually intelligent and talented young students aren't celebrated for all they've accomplished instead of having to defend their decision.
124»