right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Program environment

Replies to: Program environment

• broadway95broadway95 10 replies0 discussions
    When my D went on visits that was one of the big intangibles that became a big topic of conversation for us. It definately gets noticed by prospective students when the class is supportive of one another. We went for one visit the Friday before Easter and she loved the fact that some of the kids that were not going to make it home were all having Easter Brunch together. They all looked out for one another. They also had a dorm that was open during breaks for those students that might not make it home as well. It was also apparent in the rehearsals and classes she sat in on that they wanted the best for one another.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • IrishMTIrishMT 3 replies0 discussions Forum Champion
    Was the Easter Brunch group at PPU, broadway95?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    No it was at Nebraska Wesleyan IrishMT
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • takeitallintakeitallin 13 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    I think this happens at a lot of schools. MT programs tend to draw from all over the US, and further, so there are a lot of kids who just can't go home for short breaks. Since these programs tend to be small, the kids are often very close and look out for each other. My D got together with other kids in her program a number of times for holidays for which she could not come home- we were on the other side of the country so her visits were very limited. It made it much easier for her and it brought them all even closer together.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    I think you are right takeitallin. I also think that many of the parents that are closer and can come to more of the shows "adopt" the kids whose parents are further away and can't come very often. At least I got that impression at some places. The faculty also seem to watch out for the kids as well. I think that is why even if you can't visit the school you can communicate with current students and faculty to get the vibe and feel. That is where a big part of fit comes in as well in my opinion.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • beenthereMTdadbeenthereMTdad 3 replies0 discussions New Member
    To be honest I have never heard of any programs that were not nurturing and supportive. You may here from time to time someone who is disgruntled but those appear to be isolated instances.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • kjgckjgc College Rep 1 replies0 discussions New Member
    beenthereMTdad, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I may make an observation from the world of highly competitive soccer. The players that start love the coach and club, the players that are the first subs off the bench can deal with the coach and the players that never see playing time or were cut think the coach is a moron.

The "disgruntled" students were likely those that have been cut from a program. I don't think those instances are isolated. I can name schools that will, or have, cut up to 50% of the freshman class. The students that post here, are likely those that remain in the program. It is rare on this forum that you'll see anyone "bash" a program. It isn't really the right venue and would be met with equal and opposite vitriol.

The students that remain in the program post-cut likely feel (and likely are) nurtured by the faculty in a strong training program. The faculty are still good people, the students are still good people and very good artists emerge from many of the programs that actively ask students to leave. I believe the question is... before the cut, how can you support the person with whom you are in competition for the limited slots?

And before anyone points out that this is the reality in the professional world, the comparison isn't quite apt. The differences are many and the similarities few. I take no umbrage with programs that cut. I must say that I don't truly understand them, but then again, I don't need to.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • actor12actor12 4 replies0 discussions
    People tend to like or love the program they are in, but that doesn't always mean much, either. I visited schools that had zero reputation and classes that were a little disappointing but there will always be students who think it's great and they're learning a lot. Maybe they are. Even the most mediocre programs have happy students and lots of proud parents. Also, students do leave every program for many reasons other than cuts.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    ^^^I'm sure actor12 you didn't mean your post to come off as snotty as I took it. On the flip side even the "best" programs do not always have the most nuturing environment because they think you should feel lucky to be there or that they picked you. There are people at those programs that are both happy and unhappy with their program. That is why fit is so important and you shouldn't necessarily pick a school on name alone.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • MTCoachNYCMTCoachNYC 3 replies0 discussions
    I think something to take into account is the "culture" of the school. I notice that like people sometimes tend to get accepted to and attend certain schools. Then they feel that the program is nurturing and supportive-- for THEM. A kid who thrives on competition to push them to work harder is going to feel nurtured and supported in a more competitive environment with lots of constructive criticism, while a kid who needs lots of positive feedback wouldn't feel comfortable in that environment.

As many previous posters have said, the program environment is really subjective and you have to go with the program that you feel you "gel" with.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • monkey13monkey13 4 replies0 discussions New Member
    I agree that how YOUR CHILD feels about the program (or you, if you are the student) is super important, and is totally subjective. My D really disliked three programs that she visited (one was one of the lottery schools; the other two are also up there in reputation). She just PERSONALLY did not get a good feel from the students, faculty and/or campus. But this should mean nothing to you and your child...b/c you may have exactly the opposite reaction to the same school. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who hate the program my D is choosing to attend.

I think, like the rest of us who survived this process, you will find schools that you think are supportive and wonderful, and others where you think the kids are snarky and uber-competitive. It's hard for us to offer anything aside from sweeping generalizations (like "cut programs tend to be more competitive") and personal opinions.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • MomCaresMomCares 5 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    I really agree with all the comments about personal fit, and as an example will mention that after D attended MPulse the idea of a very small tight-knit program wasn't as appealing to her as many of us assumed it would be. She felt that small programs could be too easily dominated by one or two strong personalities and that over four years she preferred to work with and learn from a larger pool of people. In her larger program she has, as she'd anticipated, formed very tight bonds with a smaller group, but a group of her own choosing in the context of a larger theatre community. Different programs will certainly feel supportive to different students depending on what they want from college.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • beenthereMTdadbeenthereMTdad 3 replies0 discussions New Member
    Cut programs aside (do not like the principle) one's feelings like a previous poster mentioned is totally subjective and personal so the mention of one versus the other seems a little pointless.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • LoveMyMTGirlLoveMyMTGirl 4 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
    So, the next question would be, how do you get to know a program? We live on the West Coast so visiting colleges prior to creating our list is not possible. What suggestions do you have with this limitation?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • momarmarinomomarmarino 1 replies0 discussions
    LoveMyMTGirl: We are also on the West Coast! I just sent you a Private Message......
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share