right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Musical Theatre/Theatre school with academic support?

SusanMarSusanMar 2 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
My D is a high school junior starting the college search. She's majoring in either MT or Acting and needs a bit of academic support. Does anyone know of any good theatre programs with support???? Thank you!
edited May 2013 in Musical Theater Major
12 replies
Post edited by SusanMar on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Musical Theatre/Theatre school with academic support?

• shaun0203shaun0203 2 replies0 discussions
    I was thinking of posting something very similar on behalf of a friend so I am very happy you asked this question. My friend's S is a rising high school Junior and has learning disabilities. Although you wouldn't know it from having a casual conversation with him, he struggles through most of his special ed classes. However he is an exceptionally talented singer, actor and musician. My friend knows that traditional college is not the right path for her S but hopes to find an appropriate program for him after graduation. Obviously he needs more help than SusanMar's D who just needs academic support, but I figure I would piggy-back on her post. They live in NY and cost is an issue.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • SusanMarSusanMar 2 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
    shaun0203, thanks for posting. My D, who is also a talented actor/singer, would probably do okay academically but needs help with time management/organizational skills, ie executive function support. Maybe someone will have some school suggestions for your friend's S and my D!!!!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • md311mtmd311mt 3 replies1 discussions
    The University of Arizona has an MT program and they also have the SALT center.
    My son is the MT guy in the family but I also have a daughter who will most likely need some organizational assistance in college. She is an athlete and not interested in MT but I am looking at this school for her. There are probably other SALT schools closer but this is a possibility. Google U of A and salt. It will come up. Also, there is an ADD forum on CC that might help narrow down the schools that have good assistance. Then you can see if they have MT programs.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • EmsDadEmsDad 1 replies0 discussions New Member
    I think many or most large public schools, and perhaps many others as well, have Centers for Learning Disabilities. I know first-hand that the University of Houston provides excellent support and accomodations for students that need extra help including counseling and advising, special test locations, extra time accomodations for testing, etc. They also have a very solid theatre department as well (great acting, no MT but they do musicals).

Center for Students with DisABILITIES - University of Houston, Texas

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • SusanMarSusanMar 2 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
    Thanks for the input, md311mt, and EmsDad! I'll look into both of these suggestions.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmtmomaustinmtmom 2 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    Coastal Carolina has an Office of Accessibility and Disability Services:
    https://www.coastal.edu/disabilityservices/index.html

I think even more important for a student pursuing an MT degree, the faculty and staff in the theatre department are absolutely wonderful. It is a small departemnt and there is no way a student can get lost in the crowd. I know of a couple of students in the program who had various issues come up and the faculty and staff were nothing but supportive and caring in helping the students work through those issues. You can PM me for more details.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • lightingmomlightingmom 3 replies1 discussions
    You should check the drama/theatre board if you haven't already. I recall several parents of current seniors who posted info this admission search and cycle that is relevant to your query. Sounds like there are many good programs out there.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • prntosomeprntosome 13 replies0 discussions
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I happened across your questions just as we got a letter form Ithaca College about all disabilities and the school's ability to handle them. My D is going there as a BFA MT student. We don't need these services, but they seem to have quite a bit of coverage:

Documentation - LD - Student Disability Services - Ithaca College

This makes me think that many, if not all, schools have some sort of support.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeSearchDadCollegeSearchDad 3 replies0 discussions
    I'd agree with those who posted before me. I'd say just about every school (in fact they may be bound by federal law to do so) has an office that addresses accessibility and disability services. Even top academic schools that happen to have drama and MT schools (like CMU) make accomodations for students with documented learning disabilities. After all, as you know, a learning disability is not an indication of lower intellect (quite to the contrary in many cases).

Best of luck in your search!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • IrishMTIrishMT 3 replies0 discussions Forum Champion
    Try Point Park. We know a current student whose needs were accommodated.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeSearchDadCollegeSearchDad 3 replies0 discussions
    Ditto what IrishMT said. I know a non-MT/theatre kid at PPU and they have had a really great experience with the support and accommodations there.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • photomom5photomom5 5 replies0 discussions New Member
    My daughter is an acting student at Shenandoah. They have both acting and MT..and one of the best support systems. What you will find is that if you are looking for a BFA, there are very few gen ed courses that the kids take, and the ones they do (such as math) are geared towards these kids. Shenandoah offers 3 hours a week of tutoring for each subject and it is not extra, included in the tuition.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share