Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Unnecessary Writing Score

MedicalBoyMedicalBoy Registered Users Posts: 12
edited May 2013 in Multiple Degree Programs
Do BS/MD programs COMPLETELY IGNORE the writing section or do they give you some weight (positive/negative) depending on how you do?

Also when BS/MD programs say they have a minimum SAT score (M+CR), how many points higher is the usual average?
Post edited by MedicalBoy on

Replies to: The Unnecessary Writing Score

• TheBombingRangeTheBombingRange Registered Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    Yes, almost all of my programs ignored the writing section. However, I would not bomb it or anything, that wouldn't look good. Do the best you can but concentrate on C+M. The average scores for all of these programs are usually around 1500-1530. I was scared by that, but if you meet the minimum and have great everything else, you should still be a good candidate for interview.
  • MedicalBoyMedicalBoy Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited May 2013
    What, in your opinion, is bombing it? I mean getting a couple of multiple choice wrong can bump you down 80 points...
  • TheBombingRangeTheBombingRange Registered Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    For example, I reviewed the grammar section for 1 hour before the test, never practiced the essay, and got a 780 on the Writing score. Don't not do any writing section studying and get below a 650, that would look bad.
  • DxSnakeDxSnake Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Although some places require all three parts. One place I applied for required 2100 minimum, but the people who got interviewed were around 2200-2400.