Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
parental unit 3parental unit 3 Registered Users Posts: 2
My child has ADD and has been receiving 50 % extra extended time in school, College Board and ACT testing. With this her grades have been very good and she is considering trying for the top colleges. Has anyone any experience with any of the university's Office of Disability Services? We were not planning on disclosing to the colleges prior to admission.
Testing is up to date and includes WISC and WIAT tests. She has also taken courses at local Community College and receives extended time there as well.

We are especially interested in the Ivy League Universities. Daughter would like to apply to one ED, but we are concerned about her being accepted, applying to no other school and then not receiving the necessary accommodations. Has anyone knowledge of a student who received accommodation by both CB and ACT subsequently denied by a University?
Post edited by parental unit 3 on

Replies to: LD and Ivy league/top LAC

• higgins2013higgins2013 Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    Time to determine whether your daughter will receive accommodations is during her application process, by checking with "Student Services" at shortlisted schools to discuss your daughter's specifics. If your daughter recently received accommodations for SAT Test, then likely she has disability paperwork to obtain accommodations. But only way to confirm is to discuss this with officials making that determination at each of her desired schools.

I am aware of college students who received ACT/SAT "extended time" accommodations (back when standards were somewhat more lax) but didn't receive "extended time" at their college because they didn't have adequate ed-psych reports to confirm need for academic accommodations. These were students who had IEPs in HS, but not independently-procured formal reports. A HS-generated IEP alone is usually insufficient. Student Services offices often post their "diagnosis-confirmation" requirements on their schools' website. ("Doctor's letter" is insufficient; most schools are expecting formal neuropsych eval report that includes specific psych tests.)

Schools don't deny admission to students w/LDs. I suspect Admissions doesn't even discuss applicants with Student Services folks. There's no negative consequence for disclosing LDs. Frankly, as a prospective student (and parent-of-student) you want confirmation of a warm welcome and an empathetic response before you arrive on campus in Fall. I'm a parent, and I checked in at every school. Our student went to Student Services at ED school, to confirm requirements and accommodations too.
  • happykidsmomhappykidsmom Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Hi! Check out the thread "To tell or not to tell" in this section. My son recently went through this process and I wrote a couple of fairly lengthy posts about it. He disclosed his LDs and will be attending Brown in the fall. Also had a full ride to Duke. Let me know if you have some other questions. Both Brown and Duke seem to be very accommodating. We also had discussions with other schools. We will know better about Brown in the fall.
  • parental unit 3parental unit 3 Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Hello Happykidsmom. May I PM you? I tried to but it says you have exceeded your private message quota and need to clear some space.