right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Admissions for a minority?

ymacedoymacedo 2 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
Hello y'all,

I hope to be transferring into IU within the next coming year. I have researched the percentage of minorities at the college as well as the average G.P.A. I have also researched affirmative action according to the recent supreme court ruling among other things... A simple somewhat offensive question to ask y'all would be... Is it easier for a minority to get into this university if their extra curriculars, G.P.A., and location match up to someone of Anglo decent?
5 replies
Post edited by ymacedo on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Admissions for a minority?

• sosomenzasosomenza 109 replies1 discussions Junior Member
    Someone with better stats, yes. Someone with worse stats, no. Your question is not as offensive as your logic, y'all.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • ymacedoymacedo 2 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
    @Sosomenza affirmative action was created to stop racism and segregation. Today it is used to diversify college campuses so I don't see how my logic is wrong? If two people have the same stats but one is a minority then who is more likely to be chosen?

I am not sure that you quite understand what affirmative action is so I will just put this here;"An action or policy favoring those who tend to suffer from discrimination"

This is the college saying they support and comply affirmative action.
    "In its admission policies, Indiana University supports and complies with Affirmative Action regulations."

I guess I should go ahead and correct your name from sosomenza to sosoMENSA. In case you didn't know Spanish it means sosodumb. Hah.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Ymacedo: No mi digas guey! I'm Mexican so save the translation lesson. You were smart to restate your question so it does make a little more sense. but again it would depend on the stats. If a minority matches up (your words) to someone with good stats then it could help. Your original post seems to insinuate that all Anglos have good stats, which they don't. BTW I use the Italian translation of Menza with means so, so. Anyway Ha, back.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • ymacedoymacedo 2 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
    @sosomenza Aww. Well, that's cute. I just restated my question in layman's terms so you could better understand it. I don't know exactly where you got the idea that I was insinuating people of Anglo decent automatically have good stats. I never phrased my question that way and I keep reading it over hoping that maybe some hidden meaning will pop out somewhere, but still nothing. BTW I looked up the Italian meaning of Menza and I can't find anything.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    "A simple somewhat offensive question to ask y'all would be... Is it easier for a minority to get into this university if their extra curriculars, G.P.A., and location match up to someone of Anglo decent?

Ymacedo-These are your words-Retract or accept the burden of them. Saying that they do not mean what they clearly mean is weak. BTW your writing would have to improve a couple of notches to gain laymen status.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share