Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

No International Olympiad Medal , Bye Bye MIT ?

2»

Replies to: No International Olympiad Medal , Bye Bye MIT ?

• codeguycodeguy Posts: 11 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    ^Writing a whole new application from scratch, i don't think this is the 'best experience ever' from any angle. Correct me if i'm wrong.
  • Trix19Trix19 Posts: 5 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    This is a melodramatic thread...I wish people really knew what they were saying on most occassions. While MIT is a dream for many, international olympiad is not the end all be all. The US is not composed of only MIT, as Britain is not just compiled of Cambridge. There is much greater selection and campus view is much more appealing. To get into a technological school can mean various different routes. You could do a project, present it, and carry it to an international platform. If you have an international recognition and more "wow" stuff attached to it, you will be good. To put all your eggs in one basket by saying that once you get into intl olympiad you will get into MIT or elsewhere is nonsense. A sensible kid is one who realizes that everyone is different and special in his or her own way.
  • hopingforbetterhopingforbetter Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    Trix19 wrote:
    While MIT is a dream for many, international olympiad is not the end all be all. The US is not composed of only MIT, as Britain is not just compiled of Cambridge.
    This is what anialways said in the first reply to the OP's question.
    Trix19 wrote:
    You could do a project, present it, and carry it to an international platform.
    We would be pleased to know about all such opportunities. How many? One? Two?
    Trix19 wrote:
    If you have an international recognition and more "wow" stuff attached to it, you will be good.
    This is great!! You have opened our eyes very wide!
    Trix19 wrote:
    To put all your eggs in one basket by saying that once you get into intl olympiad you will get into MIT or elsewhere is nonsense.
    Nobody here said that an int'l Olympiad medal can get you into MIT. All we say is that those who get into MIT from India are mostly int'l Olympiad medalists.
    Trix19 wrote:
    This is a melodramatic thread...I wish people really knew what they were saying on most occassions.
    And you said this!! Funny!! Too funny!
  • Trix19Trix19 Posts: 5 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    @hopingforbetter, it is clear that you want to argue with me but I am politely refraining from that offer. Please don't bash my statements out of context, I only want to boost the poster's morale. So what if I repeated something anialways has written before? It will only confirms that life is not horrible without your dream school's acceptance. Rather it is more valuable coming from a current undergrad. The post is exaggerated and I will not contest this. I don't even think about intl olympiads because universities such as MIT will not penalize you if you have some other intl recognition. Yes, they will expect to see some proof of your intelligence but does it have to be the olympiads? absolutely not. Statistics get boring after a while and universities may follow a trend for some years but will occasionally have students come from diverse backgrounds and recognition.
    I was never rebuking anyone's response to the poster but solely the poster's statement. You can tell that I did not read any of the responses and was more keen to add my own experience and knowledge.
    In terms of project, I would recommend finding a professor and explaining to them that you would like to work with them. Usually you will find many that will turn you down but if you're lucky, they may offer some basic work for you to do. Rarely, it is hard to find a project that you can work in with deep knowledge. If in case you jump this obstacle, you can publish that work with your professor if it is a project that you become extremely invested in. However, research is not easy to handle with coursework at a high school age if you do not understand it. So I would be wary of the challenges and sacrifice you will have to make accordingly.
    Also most people do not start their senior year in HS doing this but rather much earlier into their high school year. Also as you can tell, one is quite enough since dedication is more important than the quantity of labs you have worked with. Through one lab, you're able to make much greater impact logically. My point is to provide the OP with a sense of accomplishment that can be equal to the intl olympiads. There are many paths to go with this; hence, one must not be discouraged no matter what others may say.
  • pertussispertussis Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, why or why not? Either way we end up becoming some or the other statistic right?
    But here's some advice, MIT is NOT the ultimate goal/dream. Sure, it's great if you get in and all. You can tell roughly 2^10 people who will tell roughly another 10 people each about 'that kid who got into MIT...". So you're famous. Bam! No. No one gives a darn, and all you will really get a million unsolicited calls for help/advice, and praise and affection laced with the greenest envy. Or you'd just become a FIITJEE(or whatever coaching class, if you do go) legend. That isn't going to help you get anywhere really, and probably will serve as a meaningless ego bomb.

And some more advice, if you want to really get in anywhere (wherever you want to go), don't post questions, especially like this one. Sure you will have a couple of good souls answering this, trying to help and all, but the vast majority of answers WILL come from recent high school graduates(many who applied and didn't get in themselves). They don't really have a right to claim sufficient experience because one application does NOT amount to experience. Sure, most of the people who get in are Olympiad medalists, but that is because that seems to be the only honest form of external validation they are going to get. Almost every applicant these days goes to one of those 'counselors' who 'edit' their essays multiple times, and lead the applicant to believe that they are being absolutely honest and do most of the hard work. There are way MANY applicants who inflate their grades. Why shouldn't they take people who have international validation? And knowing India(and college confidential, by the way), they probably know that thousands of applicants are just going to work their backsides off trying to clear olympiads for the sake of that admission. That isn't passion. IMHO, glorifying a cause to justify the means doesn't get anyone too far.

So it really doesn't matter, whether it is HYPSM or whether it is a community college. Successful people are a product of hard work, luck, instinct and circumstances.
    And no matter what you do, don't look at domestic applicants or racial minorities and diss their admission. It's all about the most of what you make. And they aren't obligated to finance a hundred foreign students anyway.

So if you've worked hard, worked honestly, maybe if you are innately 'smart', and of course if luck favors you as well, you WILL be successful in the long run. Look up Einstein's quote about geniuses and judging a fish by it's ability to climb a tree. It's NOT about IIT or MIT or Clown College, New York. It's ALL about you.

So go ahead, weigh your chances and do as you please. The world's a stage and you're a mere actor. Millions of people have essayed your role. If you are successful, keep a level head and humble heart. If you're not, discard bitterness or envy(after a few days of course!) and move on, taking it as a life experience and a learning lesson. Don't regret your choices, and if you do end up applying, consider it an investment for experience again.

And most importantly, stay off College confidential unless you have a very SERIOUS question. Otherwise you'll probably get worthless/incorrect/confusing advice or a meaningless philosophical rant like the one I just spewed.

And all the best. You'll probably do great whatever you do!
  • hopingforbetterhopingforbetter Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    @pertussis Way to go! That's right!

@trix19 No no I never wanted to bring you into a "never lasting" debate. Do I want to discourage the OP? - No. Do I want the OP to know the facts? - Yes.

MIT will look for a way to pull out all their admits from the rest of the applicant pool. Yes, they look for some kind of international validation. I can count on my fingers the number of opportunities available to Indian students to provide such international validation - Olympiads and Google International Science fair. That's the reason we can see that most of the MIT admits won int'l Olympiad medals.

If you can see the posts above your first one, you will notice that everybody who answered the OP's question made a point - "Olympiads or something equal to that".

Talking to a professor and joining his research or asking him to help in your project? Yes, that's a thing to do, but do you really think it's practically possible in our country for a high school student? I don't think so.

One last point I would like to make after which I will never take a look into this thread is "there are not many opportunities as you might think". (If you can read your post, you said "If you're LUCKY, they may offer some basic work for you to do. RARELY, it is hard to find a project that you can work in with deep knowledge". You can also count the number of "if's" you used there and in your next sentence. That's what I am talking about.)

Yes I was rejected by MIT, but am I crying over the rejection? No. Am I feeling unworthy of myself? No. And I'm not bashing the MIT admissions for taking only those who proved themselves. What I'm trying to say is "without something very unique, don't expect MIT to take you".
  • quiverfoxquiverfox Posts: 5
    edited May 2013
    hey !!! I am really sorry if I sounded bashful..I just meant to tell you this because I neglected all my friends' posts last year(same time) saying that this was crap shoot. Its not easy and Its not impossible....its just very unlikely that you will get in without an intl. Olympiad equalent . :p

Also Trix19..I'm sorry to say this..but what you said really doesn't work out that well..I did all those things that you said worked at IISc. , sold my circuitry to a company, represented my country ,.awards in music etc.. sort of your type of person right...
    and even these guys thought i got in...but guess what ..I didn't..

I'm really happy today cause I got into a good college so I have no reason to regret this decision as well. Please take everyone's posts well, its only meant for your good :)
  • Robots156Robots156 Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    There is NO chance that you will be selected in MIT. There are many good colleges in the states but there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that you will be selected in MIT.
2»