right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

APUSH Crash Course Effectiveness?

booapushbooapush 0 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
I've read REA's Crash Course for APUSH three times now and took the released multiple choice from 2006. I scored a 72 out of 80, but is this an accurate indication of how I'll do on the actual test? I noticed a lot of the wording on the test was EXACTLY the same as in Crash Course, since the book is based off of past tests. So anyone that's taken the APUSH exam, how helpful was Crash Course? Can you score a 5 with only the information in it? Also, is it useful for the writing portion or would it be better to study other sources?
edited May 2013 in History & Social Sciences
9 replies
Post edited by booapush on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: APUSH Crash Course Effectiveness?

• EntricEntric 7 replies0 discussions
    No the CC is not helpful for writing FRQ/DBQ. The only usefulness for CC is the MC part of the exam. Review major theme details to prepare for the FRQ and DBQ. AP graders want your opinion, ability, but more importantly, outside information. The CC is was too concise to provide any useful outside information.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • riffedriffed 9 replies0 discussions
    Entric wrote:
    No the CC is not helpful for writing FRQ/DBQ. The only usefulness for CC is the MC part of the exam. Review major theme details to prepare for the FRQ and DBQ. AP graders want your opinion, ability, but more importantly, outside information. The CC is was too concise to provide any useful outside information.

You're remiss to make such a sweeping generalization as the Crash Course is "not helpful" for writing the FRQs. That is patently false; there is plenty of info in the Crash Course that someone could incorporate into one's FRQs.

That said, for a very high score, you will likely need more details, such as what is contained in the Essential Content. But, one can certainly write halfway decent FRQs, on most topics, if they have a strong command of the content in Crash Course.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • BubinskiBubinski 4 replies1 discussions
    You probably won't get a 5, unless you've been really paying attention in class. As I'm reading the crash course, I'm growing skeptical because it seems as though he's basing the review only on the content found on past tests.

This book will probably help me do great on old practice tests, but I'm not feeling confident for the actual test.

Anyone have another book suggestion? Is it too late to try and read amsco?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • jay1412jay1412 7 replies2 discussions Forum Champion
    if you can pull it off, try reading the amsco, that will definitely will helpful! I've ben reading it all year & fell pretty confident. I read the crash course & I still think that if you would be helpful on the mc. because college board recycles mc questions & they follow a certain pattern & format. but if you can definitely try reading the amsco, maybe not the whole thing but parts which you think you are a little weak at. if you think you aren't confident with the Mexican American War, go ahead & read that in the amsco. do that for all your weak time periods or events in history. that way you'll know what to write if there's a FRQ or DBQ about it.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Congratulations Riffed! You have just become the #1 contestant for the nobel prize of stupidness. I clearly stated that the CC lacks details to do well on FRQ/DBQ. Your whole post contradicts itself.

"That is patently false; there is plenty of info in the Crash Course that someone could incorporate into one's FRQs. That said, for a very high score, you will likely need more details, such as what is contained in the Essential Content." There's plenty of info in CC but you need more details? Sherlock, please GOML without your fancy gibberish. Nobody has time for eloquent posts.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    My post doesn't contradict itself at all. Reread yours: "the CC is not helpful for writing FRQ/DBQ." The CC, in fact, has plenty of relevant information that one can incorporate into the FRQs, or for DBQ outside information. That is the point that I reiterated in my first paragraph above.

In my second paragraph, I also mention that the CC is not as detailed as, say, the Essential Content book, and thus, for a "very high score", one may need to draw from other sources. However, there is a difference between a book "not being helpful" and not enabling one to achieve a "very high score", and it appears you've missed that distinction.

Perhaps you don't have time for eloquent posts, but some of us are just naturally articulate people. If you see language used in a way too sophisticated for you, don't fret; we all develop at different rates, and perhaps one day, writing eloquently will come easily for you, as well!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    I don't want to start a troll war but tell me about your grammar skills when you understand the purpose of capitalization. Your username could use some of your superb skills. #GOML
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    LOL. Yeah, because a username is a sentence. Good one!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • thelemonisinplaythelemonisinplay 10 replies0 discussions
    Wow, guys. Can you not? Seriously, if you want to snipe at each other, please do it somewhere else. You're not helping by doing it here.
    I've heard that the Crash Course is really helpful, both on MC and FRQs, but mainly MC. I'm reading it right now, in fact, and it's a great resource that effectively condenses and summarizes the key points you need to know. Obviously, it's not enough for the essays, but that's why you have other resources available to look at (namely, your textbook and other, more detailed, prep books).
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share