Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Flexibility of classes + Joint concentration?

gallifreygallifrey Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
edited May 2013 in Harvard University
I'm interested in applying to Harvard, but if I were to go, I would choose a rather unique joint concentration of East Asian Studies and Physics. In order to joint concentrate, I know you have to do the honors track of both programs, and the course requirements are about 13-15 half courses each. If my calculations are correct, that leaves a lot of space for other classes, which surprises me— I was wondering if anyone who has done a joint concentration or has planned it out before sees that my observation is accurate? That flexibility is really ideal but I want to make sure it exists before deciding on which schools I want to apply to.

I see myself as sufficiently qualified to get into Harvard and I think any comments claiming that this is irrelevant to think about now when I "probably won't get in anyway" are a waste of time. Thank you!
Post edited by gallifrey on

Replies to: Flexibility of classes + Joint concentration?

• notjoenotjoe Registered Users Posts: 1 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    gallifrey,

My son declared a joint concentration in physics and classics, so I assume East Asian Studies and physics can be done, too.

Nailing down the details, however, and getting all parties to agree, is time-consuming and not guaranteed of success. He had to go ask, to persist, to persevere, to make appointments, to do the legwork, to repeatedly make phone calls, visits and e-mails. But my son found a lot of good will in both departments to help him navigate to his ultimate goal, even though he had to repeatedly ask for that assistance.

As well, I don't know whether you're aware of it, but undergraduates at Harvard typically take four courses per semester, and thus graduate with 32 one-semester courses. There are also a set of required courses apart from those required for one's concentration. You can take a fifth course, if you can hack it, but many students find their load suffiicently-heavy with four courses. I don't know whether you've factored these things into your calculations.
  • gibbygibby Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited May 2013
    "If my calculations are correct, that leaves a lot of space for other classes, which surprises me."

Harvard requires students to complete 8 general education requirements, in addition to taking expository writing, which leaves little room for electives for those opting for joint concentrations. See: Homepage § Program in General Education

I'm assuming you've checked out:
    http://harvardealc.org/EAS%20Handbook.pdf
    http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic772486.files/Physics.pdf.

"I see myself as sufficiently qualified to get into Harvard and I think any comments claiming that this is irrelevant to think about now when I "probably won't get in anyway" are a waste of time."

You certainly have the ego for the place and would live up to that old adage: "You can always tell a Harvard man . . . but you can't tell him much."
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited May 2013
    I see myself as sufficiently qualified to get into Harvard

Then you are certainly qualified to do your own Google searching.