Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any tips for future applicants??

wchristen89wchristen89 Posts: 28Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
edited May 2013 in Harvard University
I was just wondering how to make my application as impressive as possible whenever I apply?? I'm only a sophomore in high school, and I just would like some tips ahead of time! How do I write good essays, or make my EC's as impressive as possible?? What do I have to focus on when I apply?? Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Post edited by wchristen89 on

Replies to: Any tips for future applicants??

• mccruzmccruz Posts: 2Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't your school have like meetings for senior parents/kids for these kinds of stuff?

If your URM make sure they know it.
    If you have gone through major obstacles during your highschool years, it wouldn't hurt to incorporate it in your essay but use it to show how you came out a better person, not to draw sympathy.
    How do you write good essays? If you are seriously asking that question maybe Harvard isn't the right option, or perhaps you should hire a college admissions tutor person to help you polish your application and give advice.
    If you are interested in a STEM topic- be sure to emphasize your interest in it and make sure your ECs and classes show your interest in STEM topic(s) (I think this helps a lot now a days even if nobody is willing to admit it).
    Kick ass on your interview and IDK get your mind right I guess.

Get as close to a perfect score on ACT/SAT and your ECs dont need to be school-sponsored (the math club/ spanish club/ chess club/ etc) they can be out of school and its probably better if you pick an out of school EC to do something impressive like research/interning/something IDK

Charity works also helps big time if you are looking to go down the superficial route.
  • SikorskySikorsky Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited May 2013
  • iluvbooks94iluvbooks94 Posts: 6Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Go make the most of this summer and your junior year. Your application will fall into place if you've taken advantage of your opportunities.