Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

12/13 Summer Pell grant confusion: How do schools process the info?

AquakittyAquakitty Posts: 1Registered Users Harvard Champion
Hi all,

I've applied for the first time for a Pell grant this summer (still 2012/2013). Skip to bottom for summary if this is too long to read.

Before writing this, I have searched and read a bunch of info all over the net, and also phoned my school several times, and I am now even more confused.

From my understanding, a school gets my FAFSA SAR as soon as it is marked as "Processed" and I can see the SAR on the FAFSA website, right?

Well I had 2 schools on my SAR. School #1 nearly immediately asked me for more documents and showed that I also qualified for the tuition fee waiver (BOGW).

School #2 is the one I really wanted to go to. I did a correction on my FAFSA over 2 weeks ago and added this school. It all went through ok on my end and I could see the amended SAR the next day. I called the school and they said to wait another 2 weeks. Ok, no problem, still lots of time at this point.

After 2 weeks I still heard nothing so I called and trying to figure this out, and the school claims they never got my FAFSA and that it will be 2 weeks until they get it.

This does not seem right to me. 2 other schools I had on there got the info right away. The reason this is a big deal is now I have to pay for my classes before getting the Pell, which makes no sense to me since the BOGW (tuiton fee waiver) went through nearly instantly at school #1.

Yes I mostly asked my school these questions, but they are not giving me straight answers. This is my first time doing this so I have no idea what to expect here.

**Summary for those who don't want to read it all:**

If they can see my FAFSA now, why would I have to wait 2 more weeks and have to pay for it myself??
Post edited by Aquakitty on

Replies to: 12/13 Summer Pell grant confusion: How do schools process the info?

• dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    I can't answer your question with any certainty, but I can make one suggestion (that might or might not help): go in and amend your FAFSA to move School #2 to the top of the list, if it isn't already there.

At least one other CC'er has posted that they could not get an award at all from a California CSU until they moved that school to the top of their FAFSA list. Don't know if that's what's going on here . . . but it's an easy fix and can't hurt to try.

The other thing you can do is call the school FA office again, and move up the chain of command until you reach someone who's actually able to help you. Be polite, but insistent. You might want to check the FA office website ahead of time and see if you can get the names of the people who work there. That way, you can just call and ask to speak with Mr./Ms. X right from the get go.

Good luck!!!