right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Not awarded Cal Grant?

ChicobanditoChicobandito 0 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
So I just went to check my Cal Grant status and it looks like I was not awarded one.

My page looks something like this :

Cal Grant A: Not Awarded Competitive (C1)
Cal Grant B: Not Awarded Competitive (C1)
Cal Grant C: Not Awarded Competitive (C1)

I have a 3.78 GPA and will be transferring CSU this fall. Shouldn't this be a good enough GPA for a cal grant?

Does this also mean that I will also not be awarded a need based cal grant as well? I don't see anything about need based awards on my page. My income was under 15k and I am an independent student with a family of 3.

Any info would really be appreciated.

Thanks
5 replies
Post edited by Chicobandito on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Not awarded Cal Grant?

• KenderKender 3 replies0 discussions New Member
    Competitive Cal Grants are limited and not guaranteed. They are doled out based on a point system based on those who applied. Those who applied for the same competitive Cal Grant you did had a higher score than you. That's why you were not awarded a competitive Cal Grant despite having a GPA that met the minimum requirements for entitlement Cal Grants.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 212 replies4 discussions Junior Member
    My income was under 15k and I am an independent student with a family of 3.

Do you meet the other req'ts? Are there req'ts that you had to have graduated from a Calif high school within a certain number of years? If so, do you meet that req't? Did you meet all deadlines?

You need to call the school to find out if you qualify for the regular Cal Grant. If you're going to a CSU, then it sounds like you'll get a full or near-full Pell Grant, a student loan of about $11k, and if you do get a regular Cal Grant, the amount will be equal to the fees for a CSU.

What is your EFC? When did you graduate from a Calif high school?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom 38 replies9 discussions Junior Member
    You need to call the school to find out if you qualify for the regular Cal Grant.

No, this isn't correct. By "regular" Cal Grant, I assume you mean "entitlement" grant . . . but if Chicobandito were eligible for an entitlement grant, then he or she would not have been considered for a competitive grant. The competitive grants are only for certain students who do NOT meet the qualifications for an entitlement grant.

Really, the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) isn't in the business of playing games with people. Students who are eligible for entitlement grants are considered for them, and any entitlement grant would be listed on the award notice.

Chicobandito can contact his/her CSU financial aid office, or contact CSAC directly, to get an explanation of his or her status.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 212 replies4 discussions Junior Member
    Thanks for the info. I guess I should have written that the student can call his school to find out why he didn't qualify for any Cal Grants - since he doesn't seem to know why. At least then he'd know why.

I suspect that the student didn't do what was needed right out of high school to maintain eligibilty or something like that.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom 38 replies9 discussions Junior Member
    I suspect that the student didn't do what was needed right out of high school to maintain eligibilty or something like that.

That's entirely possible. The grants are generous, but the requirements for obtaining them are quite stringent . . . and not at all self-evident. Miss a critical deadline and you can be permanently out of luck.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share