Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where can I get a good amount of scholarship money with a 29 ACT?

NikkkkkiNikkkkki Registered Users Posts: 19 College Search & Selection Champion
Hi I'm looking to know if anyone might be able to tell me any schools in either california, florida, texas, or the Carolina's, that give out a good amount of scholarship money (by good I mean making the out of state cost of attendance around 30,000) for students who have a 29 and a 4.36 weighted/ 3.95 unweighted GPA. I've checked into automatic scholarships, but I was wondering more of schools that don't state the exact requirements, but that you guys might be aware of or know anything about. Thanks so much!
Post edited by Nikkkkki on

Replies to: Where can I get a good amount of scholarship money with a 29 ACT?

• BobWallaceBobWallace Registered Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    You want to look for schools where the 29 ACT and your GPA will put you in the top 25% or higher in the applicant pool. (Usually higher, if you want a high chance at a sizable award.)

For example, at University of Florida, the middle 50% of the admits are 26-31 ACT, so you wouldn't expect merit aid there. At College of Charleston, OTOH, the mid 50% is 23-27 ACT and only 7% score 30 or higher, so your chances of merit aid are good there.

California is a tough place to get merit aid - almost none from the publics. Texas, Florida, and the Carolinas all have quite a few schools with good merit possibilities, but with a 29 ACT it's not likely at the "name" schools in those areas (UF, UNC, UT, etc.)

There are some very affordable schools in those areas where you wouldn't need any merit aid at $30K/year, for example public LAC UNC-Asheville or a big state school like South Florida.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered Users Posts: 252
    edited May 2013
    I like looking at the USNews and World Report Big Book, that has pages of schools in order of how much merit money and financial aid they give. For merit awards, the last columns are relevant. You want a school that gives a large % of awards and large average amounts. You then look up the school and see what % your test score puts you in. At a school in the above example, if 7% of the kids have ACTs over 30, you can figure that you are in the upper 10-15% of the test scores. You then look at what % of the kids get merit aid, and the average amount. If only 10% of the kids get merit money and the average award is $10K, that tells you that you are likely to get about that amount. If 25% get merit money and the average award is $10K, you might want to look on the web site to see how many high ticket scholarships, they give because you are in the upper half of that group, which means that if the school gives $20K and above awards, you just might be in the running for them. You don't want to waste your time on those schools that give out very few high scholarship awards when you know your test scores are not close to the % of those awards given, unless it is a school high on your list where you want to take a lottery ticket chance.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited May 2013
    Are you going to test again?

Are you going to take the SAT?

Can you tell us more? What is your intended major or career? What kind of schools do you like? Large? Small? Quiet? Rah rah?
  • NikkkkkiNikkkkki Registered Users Posts: 19 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Yes I am going to take it again. My score was a
    33 english
    27 math
    30 reading
    25 science
    29 composite
    So I am hoping to work on my science and math a lot for the next test. I got an 1880/1270 on the SAT but am waiting on my current scores which I feel a little more confident about, so hopefully they are better.

As for major I want to do something in business, preferably in marketing and then also have a spanish minor.
    UF is my dream school but I would definitely need scholarship money to bring down the cost:(
    edited May 2013
    UF unfortunately gives minimal merit aid:
    Merit-Based Gift: 379 (5.9%) of freshmen had no financial need and received merit aid, average amount $2,324
    edited May 2013
    What is your home state?
  • NikkkkkiNikkkkki Registered Users Posts: 19 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Illinois is my home state. And yes unfortunately u have seen that, my only hope would be that only about 3% of Uf students are out of state, and most instate students recieve the florida bright futures scholarship from the state I have heard. I really am interested in California as well though, considering that my options in florida are very limited and not very probable.
  • PackMomPackMom Registered Users Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    University of South Carolina
    edited May 2013
    Does your family income/assets make you eligible for financial aid? There are some Florida schools that might ante up. My son' has two classmates at U of Tampa and they are on generous aid/scholarships combo. Some smaller schools like Eckerd, Stetson, Rollins might come up with some money as well as some of the lesser known Florida state schools

With the numbers as they stand for UF, the chances of getting much merit money are very slim for you, or for anyone for that matter.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks but yeah I looked into university of tampa but I feel like I would like to go to a school where I would be challenged a little more. As for the size of school, I prefer larger or at least mid size (6,000+). Are there any options like this in california?
    edited May 2013
    There is essentially no merit aid in CA for OOS. All of the UCs are extremely expensive OOS. Some of the Cal States are around $30K OOS, so you could look at those.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited May 2013
    If your family will pay $30k per year, then qualifying for any need-based aid is doubtful other than loans.

It's highly unlikely you'd get merit to UF. There's also a very good possibility that UF won't even accept you. They accept few OOS students because the school is in demand for instate students. The OOS students likely have some hooks...athletes, extraordinary stats, or other talents.
  • vballmomvballmom Super Moderator Super Moderators Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    In California you can look at these schools which offer merit aid:

Cal Lutheran
    La Verne
    University of Redlands
    Whittier College
    University of the Pacific
    Pepperdine

The problem is that these are very expensive schools to begin with, so even generous merit aid will most likely leave you with more than $30,000/year to pay. Plus you'll need to budget for travel which will be expensive as well.
  • Ya YaYa Ya Registered Users Posts: 22
    edited May 2013
    Nikkkkki

Mirabeau Scholars Program
    Scholarships - Lamar University

Merit Scholarship Information
    Contact them and ask if it will qualify you for Competitive Scholarship Waiver
    College For All Texans: Competitive Scholarship Waiver

I am sure it will be many other Texas colleges with merit scholarships and academic tuition waiver.
    Just how high ranking college do you want?
  • intparentintparent Registered Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    I feel like I would like to go to a school where I would be challenged a little more.

The reason schools give merit based aid is to draw students who have high statistics compared to the rest of their students. So to some extent you are going to have to accept that you can't go to a school that is very challenging for you AND get a tuition break (which is what a merit scholarship really is).

Put some serious focus on your test scores this summer, that will definitely help your prospects.