Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where can I get a good amount of scholarship money with a 29 ACT?

13»

Replies to: Where can I get a good amount of scholarship money with a 29 ACT?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Registered Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    ^ I believe admission is decided without tests but I'm not sure about scholarships.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited May 2013
    Fair test schools may work. However if merit scholarships are needed, often those schools do require test scores for those awards.
  • NikkkkkiNikkkkki Registered Users Posts: 19 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I've checked into the schools that don't require it and yea you guys are right they require them for merit money usually.
  • BobWallaceBobWallace Registered Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    Nikki, please don't believe that a 29 ACT is not a good score! That's 93rd percentile nationally.

I think there are some great schools you can afford with your current ACT score, and if you can raise it up a bit so much the better.

Here are some schools to look into:

- College of Charleston: In the middle of one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the country. Closer to the beach than most CA colleges (10 miles/20 mins to Folly Beach). Good business school.

- UNC-Asheville: Meets your price without merit aid. Public LAC. In one of the prettiest cities in the country. Has a business major (somewhat uncommon for LACs). Middle 50% ACT scores are 24-29, so perhaps less worry that you are too smart for the school.

- Sonoma State and San Diego State: Both close to your price target, in CA, and beautiful campuses. Sonoma is a Public LAC (no business major, but they have economics with management emphasis) and SDSU is a research university.

- University of Alabama, University of Mississippi: These are not in the areas you listed, but they are in warm climates, and two of the best state flagships you can attend for $30K or less. Alabama has a well regarded business school. Both have nice campuses.

- University of South Carolina: Already mentioned in this thread, and I agree this is another good option with a good business school.

- Florida International: Warm, sunny, and close to the beach. Research university, costs about $10K less per year than UF. Pretty campus.

Those are just some ideas - many more possibilities out there.
  • MidhelperMidhelper Registered Users Posts: 2 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    I get the same information about grants etc from about.com if you click onto education, search your college, click on the one one that says SAT ACT profiles etc, then you scroll down somewhere there it gives the information specific for that school about % getting grants vs loans and average amount figures. You do have to do this one by one and I have no clue as to how updated this information is. I still find it useful though
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited May 2013
    - University of Alabama, University of Mississippi: These are not in the areas you listed, but they are in warm climates, and two of the best state flagships you can attend for $30K or less. Alabama has a well regarded business school. Both have nice campuses.

Recently, those at Bama with an ACT 29 are awarded an unlisted scholarship of half tuition (about $11k per year). However, if you can get a 30, you'd get 2/3 tuition (about $15k per year). And if you can get an ACT 32 (or 1400 M+CR SAT) then you'd get free tuition.
  • NikkkkkiNikkkkki Registered Users Posts: 19 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Ok wow thank you guys so much! I love warmer climates so those are good options, hopefully I can raise my score significantly and possible make it into like univ of miami o some of the california schools. Thanks!
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered Users Posts: 252
    edited May 2013
    Also, Nikki, check out Catholic schools in the areas you like. The Loyolas in LA and NO both give out nice merit money, for example. A number of kids from our school got some money from University of Tampa, a private school in FL.
13»