Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Design Degree?

ab12guab12gu Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
I am a currently a Junior in a Folsom High School looking for a distinct career involving the use of AutoCAD software that has been introduced to me through the PLTW program, which I have been involved in for three consecutive years. I was wondering what degrees involve designing with the use of drawing and mathematics? For example, I found degrees such as Architectural Engineering, Architecture, and Computer Graphics Designers to be of my desired interest of study.

To be specific, if I were to get degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Chemical Engineering, would I be able to do design in these specific fields of study or would it be necessary to have another major in some sort of designing degree that I am unaware of?

Furthermore, to do design in MEP, medical, electrical, and plumbing, what degree is necessary to pursue design in MEP?

Basically I want to know is there many jobs for designers in engineering fields, and to become a designer in engineering fields what degree do you need?

Replies to: Design Degree?

• BiggerbootBiggerboot Registered Users Posts: 2 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Hi, I'll be graduating community college next year and have started looking into a 4 year school. I feel my true calling is in the IT field, and I'm seeing what my best options are in New Jersey. I feel I've narrowed it down to 3 colleges.

- Rutgers in New Brunswick.
    - Rowan University
    - NJIT

I've been set on NJIT for a while now, the only con really is that it's in Newark and I'd most certainly have to live on campus (and stay inside, hehe).

Rutgers seems like a more sound option that I could commute to if I wanted. It's ITI program looks good for what I'm doing but would having an IT degree from NJIT look better?

And Rowan, well, I'm unsure about it. It's cheaper than the other two and it also has a degree program up my ally, but I wonder if I'll be sacrificing education quality or job potential.

I haven't visited any of these colleges yet (I will though), but would anyone have a recommendation on which one seems the best? I kinda have to stay under the 20k tuition per year mark, and I plan on taking internships.

And I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 12 Harvard Champion
    test testtest
  • dbraud3dbraud3 Registered Users Posts: 3 Harvard Champion
    Testing the test test.