Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Which College Should I go to?

ChickenKatsuChickenKatsu Posts: 2Registered Users Harvard Champion
Hi, so current situation:

3.8 GPA at a Comm. College.

Accepted to:
Salem State U.
UMass Boston
Boston C
Northeastern U

The financing is not an issue at any school but will my life be any different as a commuter student? I'm having trouble deciding on where to go since I am a single parent of two and Salem State U and UMass Boston. would be convenient because I feel like I would be a better fit there as a commuter but I would really love to go to Boston C or Northeastern U because they are well known and very competitive from what I've learned.

If I can get some advice that would be great! I feel like college is once in a life time and I really want to make a great choice that I wouldn't regret.

Does it really matter what college I get my BA from? I feel like it do..and from what I hear from others it does. But some people are telling me that it does not matter on where i get my BA from, I will succeed if I put forth the effort.

Really stressful thinking about this, any advice?
Post edited by ChickenKatsu on

Replies to: Which College Should I go to?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 296Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Have you looked into the courses and curriculum for your major at each school to see which one may be the best academic fit?
  • redhuntinghatredhuntinghat Posts: 63Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Go to Northeastern or BC. Like you said, you're a single parents of two- those two schools have better reps which lead to better jobs which lead to more money for your family.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about BC, but Northeastern has plenty of commuters (about 11%) so you won't be alone.
    I would expect fewer at BC - Commuter Lounge Has Several Uses - News - The Heights - Boston College

If finances are not a problem I would take NEU or BC over the state schools.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Having grown up in a single parent household It's hard to me to envision finances not being an issue. If they truly aren't then I agree with Beantowngirl. Otherwise choose the least expensive and commute.
  • lovemny93lovemny93 Posts: 2Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Hello! I am from Peru and I would like to hear some advices and any kind of info about 2 universities that I am aplying to: Rochester Technology Institute (New York) and University of Florida. I would like to know about the prices of food, room, etc. Which one is better in Art?

Thanks so much!
  • ChickenKatsuChickenKatsu Posts: 2Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, the finances are for the most part taken care, I am a returning veteran and they do pay for 3/4 if not all of my schooling (if private). I am really leaning towards NEU for their co-op program though. Thanks everyone this will be tough...