Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Narrowed my CompSci colleges? What do you think

13»

Replies to: Narrowed my CompSci colleges? What do you think

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 296
    edited May 2013
    IntBacc wrote:
    Well this sucks. So if I can't qualify for financial aid and will most likely not get much merit aid what are the options besides UW? Or am I just pretty much stuck? I'll look into some of the school mentioned but are there really no other options?

Being "stuck" with a large scholarship to the University of Washington for CS is hardly a bad place to be. You almost sound like a New Jersey student who wants to go anywhere but Rutgers.
  • IntBaccIntBacc Posts: 92 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I'm sorry. I've always been told that being successful banks on going to a top tier school. A lot of my family is already disappointed in the colleges that I have listed. I feel like if I go to UW I will be admitting that I'm not smart enough to go anywhere else and my family will probably think the same. I am still most likely going to apply to these schools but unless I can accumulate less than 20-30 thousand in debt than I will probably go to UW. (if i get in that is)
    edited May 2013
    IntBacc wrote:
    A lot of my family is already disappointed in the colleges that I have listed. I feel like if I go to UW I will be admitting that I'm not smart enough to go anywhere else and my family will probably think the same.

What colleges would your family not be disappointed at you attending?
    edited May 2013
    Many of my family is in the Ivy mentality because my uncle attended Harvard Law. My mom and dad are more supportive of what I choose than the rest of my family, but I still feel like they are disappointed. Obviously I can't get into an Ivy besides a slight possibility of Cornell but then I can't pay. I'll most likely just go to whichever school offers me the most aid
    edited May 2013
    There has been a new development thanks to my grandparents, and I would be interested in what you think UCBalumnus. The standing offer from my parents and grandparents is that room and board is paid in full as well as the the cost of tuition at UW when I enroll in college. If I go to a college more expensive than UW, then I will have to pay half the difference in cost. This would mean that, if I go to UIUC for example, the $11000 room and board would be covered. Then, because UW costs $12500 in state and UIUC costs 28664 OOS, I would be left with $8082 a year that I have to pay. Hopefully I will get some local scholarships and I have applied to some others, so this means it could be feasible to go to one of the colleges listed with $30000 debt or under. Of course, I will still keep UW as a very viable option.
    edited May 2013
    Employment in law is generally seen as much more school-prestige-conscious than computer science (and Washington is a very high prestige school in computer science anyway).
    edited May 2013
    Ok, thank you for the advice
13»