Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Narrowed my CompSci colleges? What do you think

Replies to: Narrowed my CompSci colleges? What do you think

• IntBaccIntBacc Registered Users Posts: 92 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    I didn't like the vibe of UW very much. Another problem is the acceptance rates. The other colleges I listed have acceptance rates of 17%-63%. While UW seattle has an acceptance rate of 59%, the CompSci department is so underfunded that its acceptance rates for direct admit is between 10% and 20% and then it is nearly impossible to declare CS as a major your junior year.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Understand that your less hard working peers will get weeded out by the various prereqs so the people left in the CS department will be much higher achieving than the average student at WSU and UW.

Also what about Western Washington University?
    edited May 2013
    I haven't looked seriously into WWU. I'll take a look
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered Users Posts: 296
    edited May 2013
    IntBacc wrote:
    I didn't like the vibe of UW very much. Another problem is the acceptance rates. The other colleges I listed have acceptance rates of 17%-63%. While UW seattle has an acceptance rate of 59%, the CompSci department is so underfunded that its acceptance rates for direct admit is between 10% and 20% and then it is nearly impossible to declare CS as a major your junior year.

If you get a direct admission to UW CS and the big scholarship there you mentioned in another thread, then it seems foolish to turn down such an opportunity, especially since you mentioned that many of your other options would require large amounts of debt.
    edited May 2013
    Yes ucbalumnus, it looks like UW is going to be my best option (as long as I get admitted). Behind that will probably be Umiami with legacy scholarships and then all the other schools will be totally dependent on FA. I'm really hoping for a miracle though. Cornell has been my dream school since I was a kid but it looks like there is no chance I will get in. I guess I'm just going to work really hard on the essay and see what happens.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered Users Posts: 296
    edited May 2013
    You should run the net price calculators on each school's web site to get financial aid estimates. If the net price is not affordable (more than Stafford loan debt), then you need to aim for large merit scholarships at the school. If no such exist and are in reach, it is not worth applying to the school.
  • AltoSaxPlayerAltoSaxPlayer Registered Users Posts: 13 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Apply to Cornell. Worst thing they can say is no.

"You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take."

Otherwise, you live in WA? In that case, UW is a great option.
    edited May 2013
    My parents make about $200000 after taxes so I don't apply for any FA at most schools. The problem is we don't have a lot of savings (especially since we moved recently). To pay I have two years of GET, GI bill from my dad and maybe mom, and whatever savings we have. It all ends up totaling about $50000 for just tuition. My parents say they will pay for room and board. I'll look into merit scholarships. I probably couldn't get any at many of these schools because they are reaches but I'll try to find some where I may be offered merit scholarships
    edited May 2013
    And yes I'll definitely apply to Cornell and I do live in WA. I'm going to meet some of the CompSci employees at UW with a friend that goes there soon. Maybe I'll be able to get my foot in the door
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Cornell doesn't give merit scholarships, only need-based aid so you cost there if you got in would be over 60K per year.
    If you are looking for merit aid, consider schools like Case Western, RPI, WPI - though you probably still would not get enough to make them affordable. Here is a good tool for looking at merit aid % and average amounts -

Private schools Kiplinger's Best Values in Private Colleges-Kiplinger (Note that there is a separate table for liberal arts schools, use the checkbox to switch to/from LACs and universities)

Public schools - Kiplinger's Best Values in Public Colleges-Kiplinger
    You can sort on percentages or amounts to help your search...
  • AtypicalAsianAtypicalAsian Registered Users Posts: 12 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know the potential of UCSD's "mathematics & computer science" major?

Like probability of getting well paying job after college, if it's any good, etc
  • MagnetronMagnetron Registered Users Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    With your parents' income, you will get no financial aid at most of them. Your list is heavy on schools with the highest likelihood of full pay.

One of my son's friends just finished up his first year at Purdue, also IB and from WA, but got more than a year's worth of credits for his IB courses. Would your parents be willing to pay more if you can graduate in 3 years?

Some others you may want to consider, extrapolating from your list: UMd, UNC, Santa Clara. And yes, apply to Cornell, but don't expect any money from them.
    edited May 2013
    Well this sucks. So if I can't qualify for financial aid and will most likely not get much merit aid what are the options besides UW? Or am I just pretty much stuck? I'll look into some of the school mentioned but are there really no other options?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited May 2013
    You do have options, just not the options you want. There are schools that will give you the merit that you need to make those schools affordable.
    edited May 2013
    Any recommendations? I looked at some of the schools listed and they seemed to offer low or very selective merit aid.