Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Recommend me engineering schools in midwest

Student129Student129 Posts: 47Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
Alright 4.2W 3.5 UW 31 ACT
What are some schools i should apply to?
Right now i want to just limit based on where i can go on my stats.
OOS around 40,000 should be good.
I live in Illinois.
Post edited by Student129 on

Replies to: Recommend me engineering schools in midwest

• Debater1996Debater1996 Posts: 61Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    You live in Illinois, so I am sure that you are thinking of U of I Champaign-Urbana, which has an excellent engineering program. For U of I, if you could get your ACT up a point or two, you'd have a much better shot at getting in. As it stands, you are within their middle 50 ACT, but your GPA is only okay. Work on those two, and you should be good.
  • brady1995brady1995 Posts: 1Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    South dakota school of mines
  • rachelm57rachelm57 Posts: 2Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    There are a lot!! Here are some that I've had experience with

Washington University in ST. Louis.
    Illinois institute of technology
    Missouri university of science and technology
    University of Tulsa (good for petroleum engineering, I'm attending in fall)
    Worcester polytechnic institute
    Colorado school of mines
    Rose-Hulman

Sorry if any of these recommendations are lame/ not what you're looking for
  • Sparkeye7Sparkeye7 Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Geographic diversity (autumn 2012)
    Ohio State enrolls students from every state and territory. States with the highest enrollment:

500+: Illinois, Pennsylvania, California, New York, Michigan
    300 – 499: New Jersey, Texas, Maryland, Virginia
    100 – 299: Florida, Indiana, Georgia, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Kentucky, Connecticut, Minnesota, Tennessee, Washington, Missouri, Utah, Arizona
    50 – 99: Colorado, West Virginia, South Carolina

National Buckeye Scholarship for non-Ohio residents

Award amount
    $12,000 ($48,000 four–year value)

Criteria
    Ohio State is committed to enrolling a diverse and talented student population. The National Buckeye Scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis to non-Ohio students required to pay the out-of-state surcharge who are admitted to the Columbus campus for autumn semester. Those considered rank in the top 40 percent of their graduating classes and have ACT composite scores of 28 or higher or combined SAT Critical Reading and Math scores of 1260 or higher.

Scholarships

What it means to be a Buckeye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWqJAevLv4

Best of Luck & Go Bucks!! :)
  • sunmachinesunmachine Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Take a look at Purdue and Iowa State.
  • XtremePowerXtremePower Posts: 69Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    UIUC. It's instate and has excellent engineering program. With those stats, you are in.

University of Wisconsin
    University of Minnesota
    Iowa state university
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    UIUC
    Minnesota
    Ohio State
  • Sapere31Sapere31 Posts: 2Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    South Dakota School of Mines & Technology is the BEST engineering program in the midwest. They are pulling 97% employment for graduates. 4/5 graduates have internship experience before they graduate. Some specific majors have 100% employment, like mining engineering which I will be transferring into over spring.

Oops, forgot to mention they cost 10,500$ for out of state students.. That means you could very well be living on your own in a year... Quite the bargain eh?
  • 1moremom1moremom Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    That employment stat is impressive considering that they accept almost 90% of applicants. Calling it the best program in the midwest is a bit of stretch.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    UIUC. It's instate and has excellent engineering program. With those stats, you are in.

Whoa! Not so fast with the "you are in" claim. The OP's unweighted GPA is 3.5. UIUC doesn't report its GPA medians, but I'm going to guess a 3.5 is on the low side, especially for engineering. The OP's 31 GPA is good enough to put him around the 75th percentile for the university as a whole, but UIUC's engineering program is one of the very best in the nation, and it's the most competitive part of the university for undergrad admissions. According to the UIUC admissions office, a 31 ACT is at the 25th percentile for engineering.

U of I Admissions: Freshman Admission Requirements

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't apply; by all means, he should, because he's got a chance to attend one of the very best engineering programs at in-state rates. But it's no sure thing. In fact, I'd classify it as a reach.

I think Minnesota, Ohio State, and Iowa State are good suggestions. Michigan's a reach, and expensive for OOS students. Purdue and Wisconsin have excellent engineering programs, but are a bit pricey for OOS. Among private universities, Northwestern has an excellent engineering program but is definitely a reach. Case Western doesn't meet full need, but often gives attractive merit aid. Rose-Hulman is a small private engineering school that is very highly regarded.

I'd also consider a school like Bradley, in Peoria. It's less high profile, but it's got a solid engineering program. Valparaiso would be another in that category.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 296Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    1moremom wrote:
    That employment stat is impressive considering that they accept almost 90% of applicants.

Unlike in some majors which are widely perceived to be unrigorous at less selective schools, any ABET-accredited engineering degree is generally considered at least respectable. Of course, engineering at less selective schools does tend to have a higher attrition rate than most majors.
  • 1moremom1moremom Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    I am fully aware of ABET accreditation (and what is involved from the department's POV). :)
  • xraymancsxraymancs College Rep Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    To OP, you are certainly very competitive for engineering at Illinois Institute of Technology where the median ACT Composite is 28.
  • Student129Student129 Posts: 47Registered Users College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    bclintonk- how are my chances at purdue and wisconson- better than UIUC or no?
  • nickpsnickps Posts: 17Registered Users Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    For a guaranteed safety school look into UW Platteville.