Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Recommend me engineering schools in midwest

2»

Replies to: Recommend me engineering schools in midwest

• LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    Don't know if S.D. School of Mines & Technology is stronger than U of Illinois, but SDMST is a very high quality engineering program, particularly in Mechanical and Chemical. Of course it's legacy is mining and geo-related areas. Great program with the comfortable feel of a small college. Also, Rapid City SD is a decent college town.

However, the COA for non-SD residents is quite a bit more than ten grand. Still a bargain, nevertheless.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    Student129 wrote:
    bclintonk- how are my chances at purdue and wisconson- better than UIUC or no?

Definitely should be better at Purdue. Their middle 50% ACT in 2012 was 24-30, which puts you in the top quartile. Their average GPA was 3.7; your unweighted GPA would put you in their third quartile, but given your ACT strength and their relatively high admit rate, you're probably OK. I don't have engineering-specific admissions figures, but as at UIUC, they're probably higher than the university as a whole. It's no sure thing, but I'd call it a match--if you can afford it. Great engineering school.

Wisconsin actually has a lower admit rate (50%) than UIUC, but its middle 50% ACT scores are a bit lower (26-30). On the other hand, it average HS GPA is higher (3.84). Again, I don't have engineering-specific breakdowns. I'd guess it's a bit of a crapshoot, but worth a shot. Very good engineering, great college town, a bit of a party school (well, that's an understatement; let's be honest, it's a party school), great sports scene. They do enroll a lot of students from Illinois, and many from Minnesota; the Minnesotans get a break on tuition due to a reciprocity agreement, Illinoisans pay full OOS tuition.

I'd recommend applying to a range of schools. You should be in good shape at places like Bradley, Valparaiso, and Iowa State, all with very respectable engineering programs. Purdue I'm going to say is in the high match range, possibly low reach. Wisconsin and UIUC will be reachier, but worth a shot. Good luck!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 296
    edited May 2013
    However, the COA for non-SD residents is quite a bit more than ten grand. Still a bargain, nevertheless.

Full Time Undergraduate Students says that for 2012-2013, SD Mines' COA on-campus was $21,040 for SD residents, $22,010 for MN residents, and $22,980 for non-residents. Off campus was $1,070 more, while commuter was $4,020 less.
  • uofiapplicantuofiapplicant Posts: 7 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    UIUC engineering middle 50% is 31-34 so you might have a bit of a tough time getting in, especially with a 3.5.
    In-state status should help though.
  • Student129Student129 Posts: 47 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    So i knew UIUC would be hard- Wisconson- Purdue have a fairly good chance? How about Minnesota,Virginia Tech, and Ohio State
    edited May 2013
    bump10chasr
  • informativeinformative Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    Just go to the flagship state school. The midwest is filled with decently priced state schools that have standard engineering programs.
    edited May 2013
    the question is will i get in- i was hoping for purdue? which should i apply to based on my stats
  • rhg3rdrhg3rd Posts: 27
    edited May 2013
    OP, that middle 50% of 31-34 ACT is for ADMITTED students at UIUC, not enrolled students. Admission yields run about 35% at UIUC. It's unlikely students with 33's and 34's are choosing Illinois.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    You certainly should apply to UIUC, but you need to apply to several schools. Purdue should be a little easier to get into than UIUC. Wisconsin I'd say would be about as difficult as UIUC, but it's possible you could get into one and not the other. Beyond that you should be looking at places like Iowa State, IIT, and some of the others I've mentioned where you're very likely to be admitted. Pick one or two good "safeties" where based on your stats it seems extremely unlikely that you wouldn't be admitted, and build your list from there. Add some "matches," where your stats put you comfortably in the top half or top third of their entering class. Then add schools like UIUC and Wisconsin as "reaches." The safeties are the most important part of your list. But you need to do that research; you can't just ask others on CC to do it for you.
  • Nickm56Nickm56 Posts: 13 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    What do you guys think of Mizzou or Northern Illinois?
  • rhg3rdrhg3rd Posts: 27
    edited May 2013
    IIT over NIU. IU or Purdue over Mizzou. Other privates like CWRU or Rose Hulman?
  • Nickm56Nickm56 Posts: 13 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    I've received a call from Rose H's football coach asking me to come to a camp but idk. Purdue would be ridiculously expensive for me oos.
    edited May 2013
    thanks, will be looking into it, would i be considered a reach for rose hulman?
2»