Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Party schools that offer an excellent education?

Replies to: Party schools that offer an excellent education?

• mensa160mensa160 Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    You haven't seen party animals until you've been to Caltech.
  • drax12drax12 Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    I can tell you're highly analytical, so let's not try to pick this apart so closely. Vandy, as you mentioned, is in league with some raging party u's. Comparatively speaking it would have to be pretty tame compared to LSU, UGa, Florida, Alabama, maybe South Carolina, and some of the others. That youtube video of a party at Vandy that made its rounds was actually pretty tame. And Div1 sports do, as you stated, have a play in party activity on campus, with a lot of it revolving around a u's sports teams. I'm sure Vandy students feel they must at least reasonably compete with their fellow SEC u's to draw athletes to their U. If it were just the top scholastic U in the SEC by itself, it would never be able to compete, and because of its standards has a hard time doing so anyway.
  • drax12drax12 Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    mensa160 wrote:
    You got that right. ;)
  • whenhenwhenhen Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Lol this is somewhat true. My friend invited me to a party her house was hosting at Cal Tech. They built a platform that lit up in concentric circles whenever someone stepped on it, made a five foot tall, completely edible gummy bear, and had an astrophysics grad student DJing. Most memorable party I've ever been to.
  • RisingDragonRisingDragon Posts: 1 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    From what I've heard the University of Kansas (KU) is a great party school that offers good education.
  • higgins2013higgins2013 Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    Depauw in Indiana, if you're willing to consider a small LAC that otherwise meets critieria. Nice looking campus, great reviews in ranking magazines/handbooks, moderately-competitive admissions (when compared to schools slightly higher ranked), and tremendous Greek participation. Seems like it can provide a good education, a fun experience, and great financial aid. Must love Greek Life, however, and not be concerned by its rural redneck small town environment.
  • STheartSTheart Posts: 2 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
  • bacton22bacton22 Posts: 3 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    University of Pennsylvania....ivy league school with HUGE party atmosphere...southern most ivy plus high starting salary
  • AnastasiaJanelAnastasiaJanel Posts: 3 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    SDSU. & San Bernandino.
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Posts: 24
    edited May 2013
    "southern most ivy plus high starting salary."

LOL. Southernmost Ivy? What is that supposed to mean? Balmy winter weather or south charm on the west side of Philadelphia?
  • kanickkanick Posts: 44 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    A lot of the VA schools (tech and UVa) and if you're willing to go a little smaller JMU. Most schools have parties though-even ones that people don't call "party schools".
  • Duck4lifeDuck4life Posts: 9 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    UC - Santa Barbara should top the list. USC is up there if you're into the frat scene. ASU has a fine honors program.
  • simba9simba9 Posts: 6 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Chico State. #1 party school in the galaxy.
  • CalBear2K10CalBear2K10 Posts: 4 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Although it is not very well-known, Berkeley has an oasis for Greek life among major universities on the West Coast.
  • EliKressesEliKresses Posts: 25
    edited May 2013
    UGA and UMich are the first that come to mind... I suppose UVA and OSU also fit.