Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
testng testing testing This is a test

Party schools that offer an excellent education?

Replies to: Party schools that offer an excellent education?

• iwantcollegelifeiwantcollegelife Registered Users Posts: 4 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    @timetodecide12

Why not IU Bloomington?
  • barrk123barrk123 Registered Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    UWisconsin
    UMiami
    USC (cal)
  • timetodecide12timetodecide12 Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    Indiana could be included on my list, I'm sure I missed some others as well
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered Users Posts: 296
    edited May 2013
    Among the Ivy League – Princeton, Dartmouth, and UPenn have the best social life/party scene. Stanford and Duke also have D-1 sports and decent social scenes.

The Ivy League is an NCAA Division I sports conference.
  • plumhillplumhill Registered Users Posts: 1 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Ohio State all the way! Academically very rigorous with tons of research and other development-type opportunities for undergrads, and the party scene is great, too :P
  • jrcsmomjrcsmom Registered Users Posts: 9 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    My first two thoughts have already been named -

I went to IU, Bloomington (a "few" years ago). Generally ranked one of the top business schools, has several other strong academic programs. Generally a good basketball program, even in years they don't have a strong performance, still have a HUGE following. As for party scene - research "Little 5 weekend".

My son is at Bama. They have a great honor's college with a lot of opportunities for students. They have an outstanding football program with a HUGE following, but have several other outstanding sports programs. As for party scene - I prefer to stay in denial about how much partying actually goes on there. ;)
  • tarheel97tarheel97 Registered Users Posts: 7 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    UNC Chapel Hill and East Carolina University, both in north carolina are large schools with an awesome sports scene in one sport or the other. Both are known for their parties but still have great programs for their majors too.
  • kypdurronkypdurron Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited May 2013
    Texas, Alabama, and UW-Madison
  • msltennis97msltennis97 Registered Users Posts: 27 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    University of Michigan
    University of Virginia
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    University of Maryland - College Park
    University of Georgia
    Penn State
    University of Oregon (not at the level of UCSB or UGA, but a friend took me to a party at UO and I was very impressed)
    CU Boulder
    U Wisconsin - Madison
    U Penn

Alternatively you can just look at most of the schools profiled by "I'm Shmacked" on Youtube
  • hylyfehylyfe Registered Users Posts: 2 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    i dunno if mich is really a party school. there are parties but to me not a party school.
  • Brown201Brown201 Registered Users Posts: 2 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    University of Illinois #4 party school and #23 University according to US college weekly

(approximation dont remember completely.)
  • HoldenInTheRyeHoldenInTheRye Registered Users Posts: 3 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    I feel like 99% of the colleges out there fit into this criteria.
  • juilletjuillet Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited May 2013
    Penn State, UGA, University of Alabama, Louisiana State, University of Florida, UIUC, Auburn, Purdue

Most big sports schools are more or less big party schools.

Definitely look at University of Alabama, as they have great scholarships for great OOS students. UGA also has a pretty good scholarship program applicants with a 3.0 or higher.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered Users Posts: 5 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    And the winners, for most combined partying prowess and academic rigor:

1. University of Virginia (#22 party & #36 academic).
    2. University of North Carolina (#25 party & #47 academic).
    3. Colgate University (#31 party & #48 academic).

Wa-hoo-wa!!

The Smartest Party Schools In The Country