Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Using first person POV and "I"

abby12490abby12490 Registered Users Posts: 31 College Search & Selection Champion
edited May 2013 in College Essays
Is this acceptable/appropriate in a grad school essay?

For my application I have to write a personal statement, then 2 essays: one regarding an issue in Student Affairs and then a statement on my beliefs about the functions of Student Affairs within higher education.
Post edited by abby12490 on

Replies to: Using first person POV and "I"

• ADadADad Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry but I am not understanding your question.

It sounds like the school is asking for those three pieces of writing. Are you asking if the school is acting appropriately?
  • abby12490abby12490 Registered Users Posts: 31 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    No. I'm asking if, when writing these 3 different essays, if its appropriate to use first person POV and saying "I."
  • ADadADad Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    Sorry! I forgot to read the title of the thread! <embarrassed>

The ones regarding an issues in and the role of student affairs presumably could be written without the first person point of view. You don't need to say things like In my opinion" or "I believe" because it is understood that the essays represent your opinions and beliefs.

A personal statement would presumably be written in the first person. Take care to "Show, Don't Tell" though! :)