Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Humorous essay idea...

Em1994Em1994 Registered Users Posts: 1 College Search & Selection Champion
edited May 2013 in College Essays
Is writing an essay about my first kiss with lots of reflective humor in it a good idea? And is this type of essay used often? or am I being original with this?
Post edited by Em1994 on

Replies to: Humorous essay idea...

• ADadADad Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    Don't put too much stock in having an original topic.

It is not the topic, it is what you do with the topic.

Choose whatever topic allows for your most personal, detailed/specific, and revealing essay. The essay that, ideally, is so you that only you could write it.
  • bobbyvijaybobbyvijay Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvard Champion
    edited May 2013
    Thank for giving information
  • ADadADad Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    Still it could be a good idea. But if so that is because is revealing of you, not because few others might have used it.
  • overachiever01overachiever01 Registered Users Posts: 10 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    Haha! This reminded me of how I started me UChicago essay:

"How many Mexicans does it take to change a lightbulb?"
  • Alliancedude1Alliancedude1 Registered Users Posts: 3 College Search & Selection Champion
    edited May 2013
    If you can really show how it relates to you or how it changed/affected you. I wrote my college essays about asking a girl to formal my junior year and how that made me a more outgoing person who cares for others more and pursues friendship.

Got into some colleges with a lower SAT than their averages, like USC and Berkeley-that to say my essays must have played a key role.