right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will this look bad? O_O

tomatox1tomatox1 19 replies2 discussions New Member
Basically, I was going to take Pre-Calculus next year and Calculus the next. I, being the beast that I am, have self-studied AP Calculus BC already. Looking over a practice test, I know I can receive over a 4. Next month, I am planning to sign up for MV Calc at EPGY. However, I also plan to simultaneously take the coursera course for single-variable calculus mainly for the certificate of completion I am to receive after its completion. I already know all the concepts of single-variable calculus; I just wish to complete all the quizzes and tests to obtain the certificate.

I am still taking Precalc with Trig next year at school. My school offers *only* up to AP Calculus BC but the thought of sitting down in a class with thirty seniors would be the awkwardest experience of my life.

How bad of an idea is this?
edited May 2013 in College Admissions
4 replies
Post edited by tomatox1 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will this look bad? O_O

• kanickkanick 43 replies1 discussions
    When I was in high school I was under the impression that taking a math all four years looked great on college aps. If you get credit for BC you might still want to take AP stat or something.

Also, why would taking a class with seniors be awkward? Lots of kids in high school take classes with kids in grades above them and higher. (foreign language, elective APs, math is one of the common ones where people took classes a year or two ahead of others)
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather 89 replies3 discussions New Member
    I don't think it's awkward to take a class with all seniors. I took AP English with all seniors this semester and no one even knew until it came up one day in class. And the last few days of school I don't have to do anything because the seniors have their last day of school before everyone else.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • tomatox1tomatox1 19 replies2 discussions New Member
    That's impertinent. Can you answer the question please?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • kanickkanick 43 replies1 discussions
    Sorry for this confusion. The question: how bad of an idea is this?-is it pertaining to taking the two courses at the same time or taking the AP exam before without taking BC calc?

If it is the first:
    Consult an adviser at the EPGY-it might be possible that you cannot take both at the same time (if one is a prereq to another) or that it is highly not recommended because the course load may overwhelm you.

If it is the second:
    Lots of people take AP exams without taking the course. If you do not get credit-you may lose money if your school does not pay for it-but you can always take it again. (given that you are not a senior-which you're not based on your post)
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share