right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Bowdoin or Pomona Help!!!!!!

Jdaz95Jdaz95 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Forum Champion
I was admitted to Bowdoin regular decision and put down my deposit, but today I just got offered a spot off of the wait list at Pomona. I really need help deciding which school to go. Like what sort of things make the schools seem different? I'm from Northern California and I really would love to be able to have the amazing So Cal weather but I alway want to experience something different. Please help me because I have almost no clue what to do and I have to decide by Sunday!
edited May 2013 in Bowdoin College
8 replies
Post edited by Jdaz95 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bowdoin or Pomona Help!!!!!!

• PolarBearVsSharkPolarBearVsShark 20 replies0 discussionsRegistered User New Member
    Are you adventurous or no?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • Jdaz95Jdaz95 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Forum Champion
    I would say I am moderately adventurous. I like to try new things, but I am also believe that if ain't broke, don't fix it.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • PolarBearVsSharkPolarBearVsShark 20 replies0 discussionsRegistered User New Member
    Also: The Bowdoin mystique ? The Bowdoin Orient

Pomona is a damn good school, though.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Hmmm.... based on #3: Pomona.

Plus, your parents will be happier to have you nearer-er.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • keepingitlightkeepingitlight 26 replies1 discussionsRegistered User
    Two amazing schools.......You'd be hard pressed to find anything really significantly "lacking" in either. Good luck!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • trekslxchicktrekslxchick 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User
    Pomona! You'll have more resources available to you via the 5 college consortium....down the line it will be nice to have networking/ recruiting opportunities in Cali if your family is there....
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • PomKid95PomKid95 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Forum Champion
    S also had to decide btw Bowdoin and Pomona. Have you visited both schools? Both offer outstanding elite LAC academics. But they are two very different environs. PM me if you want more info.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • GvaMomGvaMom 6 replies0 discussionsRegistered User
    This is an interesting choice. Things to think about, winters and a LOT of snow, vs. shorts and flip flop weather almost year round...keep in mind days that people wear 'winter coats' at Pomona, would be short sleeve weather at Bowdoin...a lot less pollution in Brunswick than Claremont (yes, everyone says it isn't a big deal at Pomona now, but I was just there in March and while it is better than when I was at school and you could see the smog roll in like fog), there is still a difference.

Look at the two websites and really compare the things in the academic and student life areas that are important to you. Pomona was S2's second choice, while Bowdoin was way down his list based on his criteria. They are both outstanding schools, but it isn't the same as doing a Bowdoin Middlebury comparison. Also it may or may not be important to you, but there is also the difference between a school that has a lot longer tradition and the schools in California.

I love Bowdoin and Maine, but the issues named above by others definitely should be considered. Think about how you feel about the distances, 5 - 6 hours by car vs. 8+ by plane, train, car, bus combination. Good luck, but please let us know what you decide!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share