right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Are AP credits REALLY worth the trouble?

girlincrossgirlincross 0 replies2 discussions Forum Champion
Besides admissions, how much of an impact do your AP scores have on tuition?
edited May 2013 in AP Tests Preparation
15 replies
Post edited by girlincross on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Are AP credits REALLY worth the trouble?

• CantConcentrateCantConcentrate 10 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    It depends on the college you matriculate to.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • BurnOutBurnOut 14 replies2 discussions
    I am not doing APs because I want to skip any classes. I want to show that I challenged myself beyond my school curriculum. 2 out of 3 APs I did were self-studied.

For example, my school's math department is a bureaucracy that won't let me advance to Calculus this year. So, I self-studied Calc BC and I could take the test. Colleges will see that I completed Calc this year, but I will take Calculus again in college to solidify my knowledge.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 295 replies1 discussions Junior Member
    Besides admissions, how much of an impact do your AP scores have on tuition?

None, per se, unless you are able to use the credit to graduate a semester or quarter early (or take fewer courses than otherwise needed at schools that charge tuition by the course or credit), or avoid graduating late.
    BurnOut wrote:
    Colleges will see that I completed Calc this year, but I will take Calculus again in college to solidify my knowledge.

If you know the material well, skip it and enjoy a free elective instead of wasting time and tuition on what you already know. Use the college's old final exams for the course that may be skipped to check your knowledge.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Well, I suppose I could. Single Variable Calc will be old stuff by the time I graduate. However, the AP curriculum is nowhere near the curriculum taught at colleges like the top Ivies, right? (where I plan on applying)

And also, if I want to go into pure mathematics or pure physics, a super solid math base is essential, right?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • HPMEMOMHPMEMOM 1 replies0 discussions
    it depends on the college. u can save money if the college accepts it
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 13 replies0 discussions New Member
    the AP curriculum is nowhere near the curriculum taught at colleges like the top Ivies, right?

For HYP, assuming you're planning on taking plain-vanilla Calc I (Math 112 at Yale, for instance), it would IMHO be a complete waste of an elective. At least start in 115.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • billcshobillcsho 241 replies2 discussions Junior Member
    Getting credits is just one of the advantages. Taking challenge courses helps the application. Getting advance placement may help to skip some intro classes even if they do not offer credit for your AP. This would help you to graduate faster and save money. Getting credits alone may or may not save money. If the credits you get are only counted as electives and not for the graduation requirement, it does not help. If you have accumulated too many credits, it may even bump up your tuition as you may need to pay as junior/senior even still in sophomore year in some schools (e.g. UMich).
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • cutiedidacutiedida 1 replies0 discussions New Member
    How much impact do APs even make if your school doesn't offer them? I know that they don't expect them since my school doesn't offer them, so is it a big deal if I don't take them?
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • BigIsBigIs 10 replies0 discussions New Member
    If your school doesn't offer them, you can't take them. Not only is it not a big deal, it is not a deal at all. Just take whatever kind of challenging academic course load your school does offer. That's what admissions will look for.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • gnastygnorcgnastygnorc 10 replies2 discussions
    Well if you wanted to get out of classes, dual-enrollment is a much better option if your school offers it...because they more often transfer over than AP credits do.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
    Hey cutiedada, many AP exams can be self studied, given some devotion on your part.

What are you planning on majoring in? Whatever it is, I highly recommend self-studying any related AP exams.

You can take the exam without the course (if your school permits). Otherwise, a nearby school could let you take the exam.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • Taz2013Taz2013 4 replies0 discussions
    The purpose of taking an AP class should not just be earning college credit. A lot of people take them even after knowing that the college they will attend will not award credit. The main purpose of taking AP classes is to prepare yourseld for college by taking challenging courses and to show colleges that you are capable of doing well in college level courses. The way I see it, the credit is the just the cherry on top. But, to answer your question, it depends on what school you are going to. Some schools allow to skip the class that corresponds to the AP one you took while others just award elective credits.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • killer2021killer2021 6 replies0 discussions New Member
    100% worth it.

saves time, money and energy in college!
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • HONORLIONSHONORLIONS 14 replies1 discussions Junior Member
    Assuming I do well on the rest of my APs, I'll probably get to take an extended study abroad or a free term to study LSATs/GRE/GMAT/etc.

So... yes, yes they are.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • Legacy2277Legacy2277 8 replies0 discussions Forum Champion
    Other reasons given work but one of my primary reasons to take AP classes is I prefer the difficulty level. They're not particularly difficult for me and it's more enjoyable and satisfying to do something that has some challenge than taking a normal class you could likely ace asleep and while I know not all non-honors courses are very easy in my experience they usually are.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share