right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Did i ruin my chances of being accepted to a good college?

Slic333Slic333 0 replies1 discussions Forum Champion
I'm currently a junior in high school and my dream college is MIT. I've always wanted to go there and I have great qualifications such as grades and almost perfect ACT and SAT scores. As well as numerous other awards and heads of several different clubs and sports. However, when I was a Sophomore I got a 1-day school suspension in the form of Saturday school for making a stupid mistake of throwing a can out a bus window. It is on my permanent high school disciplinary record and I would otherwise be a reasonable applicant for many prestigious universities. Did i ruin my chances of MIT?
4 replies
Post edited by Slic333 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Did i ruin my chances of being accepted to a good college?

• siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom 6 replies0 discussions Junior Member
    Have you met with your high school college counselor yet? This is a good question for that person, since they will have to include the incident in your school report.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 31 replies2 discussions New Member
    I doubt this would impact your admissions chances. You made a mistake, owned up to it, took your licks and moved on. Just be careful to keep your nose clean for the next year and a half. One incident looks like a youthful mistake, two look like a pattern.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • getontargetgetontarget 8 replies0 discussions Forum Champion
    It's certainly a good thing this didn't happen your junior or senior year, as those are meticulously inspected as opposed to freshman and sophomore years.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share
  • urbanintroverturbanintrovert 7 replies0 discussions Forum Champion
    On the common app, there's space to add additional information. You can explain the reason behind the suspension and how you've changed since then. Since the reason is fairly frivolous, you should be fine.
    edited May 2013
    · Reply · Share