Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Anon1YmousAnon1Ymous Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi there

I really need some advice, so here it goes...

I have always wanted to be a vet. I know it sounds like so many others, but for as long as I can remember, it is all I have ever wanted to do.
I worked myself to a standstill and I finally made it into "vet school".
My problem is, I still have 3 more years to go until I graduate, and I am left wondering if this is still what I want to do.
Don't get me wrong, there are aspects I absolutely love, but more and more, I am having doubts about continuing. It bothers me that so much of what a working veterinarian can do is governed by money. The fact that you work so hard for a degree that means so much, but in financial terms it just isn't recognised. (I am aware that I didn't start this degree for money) but it is a concern. Who wouldn't want a more comfortable lifestyle?
It also bothers me that over the years, the vet students almost become "hardened" to certain situations (I know students who absolutely loved de-horning goat kids- the screaming of those kids haunted me for weeks).
But I loved the physiology, and knowing how things ticked and worked together in the body. I am starting to wonder if I wouldn't be more suited to medicine or some form of research.
And of course I love animals (but those in the know understand that it's not just about loving animals).
But I don't want to just throw in the towel, when I have worked so hard to get where I am. Do I continue, graduate and then change if I am still unhappy. Or do I make the change now, and know that once I do, I lose my chance at being a vet?
I guess I really would just love some advice