Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do I get people to not think I'm obsessed with pi?

warbrainwarbrain Junior MemberPosts: 11Registered Users
edited May 2013 in College Life
I just got my new e-mail address for the graduate school I'm going to, and it has the number 314 in it. Think something like lastname.314 @ college.edu. And of course, since I'm a math major, everyone thinks I chose this because I'm obsessed with pi. But this wasn't my choice, and I actually think pi is really dumb. What should can I do to avoid having people think I'm obsessed with pi?
Post edited by warbrain on

Replies to: How do I get people to not think I'm obsessed with pi?

• joe5005joe5005 Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Just don't bring it up...? I'm pretty sure people in grad school will really not care; heck, I doubt undergrads would say anything except maybe the first time as an ice breaker joke or something.

But if you're really concerned, you can just get an alias for your university email, which probably will look something like First_Last@college.edu and no one will know about your nonexistant pi obsession. I'm pretty sure this can be done somewhere in your webmail settings.
  • aldfig0aldfig0 Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    You said that your email address wasn't a choice for you. Does this mean that everyone else's email address wasn't their choice as well? So wouldn't they think that whatever your email address is, it has to be a coincidence?
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    ^my thoughts exactly
  • warbrainwarbrain Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    So I guess other people in my school will know, but people outside of my school might not be aware that my e-mail was assigned to me. In fact, a lot of people have made comments and were under the assumption that I am obsessed with pi even though I'm not. I also want to avoid making bad first impressions to people I might meet or collaborate with outside of my school.
  • TomServoTomServo Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    People at the school will know (my school does that), for everybody else give them a gmail account.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    If it makes you feel better, I had an auto-assigned e-mail address that sounded way too close to R2D2 to be comfortable. :(
  • TomServoTomServo Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Could be worse. I knew a guy whose automatically assigned email was HitlerStalin666
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 154Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Get t-shirts with 161803399.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    ^not sure if you actually don't know the digits of pi or you're making a brilliant joke
  • warbrainwarbrain Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    I try to avoid wearing shirts with numbers or words on them so I don't think that would work.

I guess I should be thankful that the number with my e-mail wasn't 13, 69, or 666.
  • whenhenwhenhen Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    The email Humboldt State (seen in California as a HUGE stoner school) assigned me was my_non_collegeconfidential_name420@humboldt.edu It could be worse.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 154Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    You could always use a diagram instead of 161803399
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    People on campus will know that your email address is randomly assigned. Plus, once you have emailed with them, your email address will come up automatically and they will never really notice or think about it again.

My sons have set up a merge/automatic forwarding of their campus email to their gmail accounts and give everyone their gmail address as a matter of course. They don't like to have to check multiple email accounts on a regular basis, in addition to Blackboard etc.
  • HairClubCEOHairClubCEO Posts: 1Registered Users
    You should just use an AOL address. I hear it's making a comeback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 2Super Moderators, Administrators, Moderators
    I can't find an AOL disc anywhere. I know I've got one somewhere.